Gold head Ram???

J. Holmes

Ok friends, 

I went to my local fish shop to pick up some Bolivian Rams… they were out 😩. The people there recommend I get Gold Head Rams. Said they were great beginner cichlids, super hardy, and easy to care for (like the Bolivian). Is this true? I didn’t get any because I haven’t researched this fish at all. I can’t find much information on them. The information I have found said they are like a German Blue ram, so more difficult to care for. I also can’t find the same picture for these fish, so I’m struggling to identify. They were yellow with blue highlights when light hit them. Below are pictures. 

background info:

1. I’m new to the hobby. This will be my first time caring for rams. Tank has housed fish over a year. 

2. 20 gallon long community tank. 10 neon tetras, 5 female endlers/1 male. 

What do you all think? Trust them or still

search for my Bolivian Ram?

98409926-AEBD-4935-8B09-4FBB164C089B.jpeg.77820f6f90d30b823b5fbb54056f0b7e.jpegA33F7696-FFBC-4FAD-829D-D7FDA86FE3C3.jpeg.d9b819daa8b49b5d001e1df6df22ce81.jpeg

Edited by J. Holmes

On 2/1/2023 at 2:25 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I'd like to say @J. Holmes, good for you for not impulse buying a fish. Too many fish keepers do that and don't have any idea what they are getting into. Researching on your own and consulting with people or sites you trust before buying is ALWAYS the best policy. 

Thank you! 🙂

• Like 1

I agree with @xXInkedPhoenixX. It is really rare to see people deciding on doing a further research and not end up buying the fish.

What I don't understand is, where this some GBR isvery hard to keep is appearing online. I haven't kept them myself. So take it with a grain of salt.

But the only "hard" part is meeting their water temperature/parameter needs and building a tank around imo, as most fish don't enjoy the temperatures they do. And maybe them being prone to tuberculosis.

What makes them so hard? meanwhile Bolivian rams are easy, except the temperature part?

Would love to hear some experiences from those who keep gbr/variations.

On 2/1/2023 at 2:45 PM, Lennie said:

I agree with @xXInkedPhoenixX. It is really rare to see people deciding on doing a further research and not end up buying the fish.

What I don't understand is, where this some GBR isvery hard to keep is appearing online. I haven't kept them myself. So take it with a grain of salt.

But the only "hard" part is meeting their water temperature/parameter needs and building a tank around imo, as most fish don't enjoy the temperatures they do. And maybe them being prone to tuberculosis.

What makes them so hard? meanwhile Bolivian rams are easy, except the temperature part?

Would love to hear some experiences from those who keep gbr/variations.

From what I’ve researched, it is about keeping stable water. Having good filtration (under water filtration) and fresh water (frequent water changes). I’m not experienced enough to have PERFECTLY stable water so I wouldn’t want to risk that yet. Ive read they need a good cleaning/water changing weekly routine or multiple water changes per week.