Black Gravel

Lauren A

Hi!

So, I can’t believe it.  I said the planted tank I just finished up a couple months ago was my last and I’m taking a break but I lied!!  I’m at it again.  I’m planning another 7 gallon cube.  I’ve got the tank and the lid.  I will house a betta in this tank as well.

I’m seeking some help finding a dark colored gravel.  Just black or grey but not coated with anything.  I will use root tabs to support mainly Crypts and some stems.  The rest of the plants will be Anubias and Buce and tons of floating plants.

If anyone uses a dark colored or non coated black gravel or has experience with any - good or bad,I’d love some feedback.  Any brand or store recommendations are greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!  🙏

I’m sorry, 1-2 mm or 2-4 mm for the grain size.  That would be helpful!  Thx again

I use the seachem fluorite black.

For a Betta tank you might be able to get some pond style gravel (those black river rocks common for gardens and planters).

Anothera Stones for Plants, 3LB Smooth Natural Black River Rocks, Plant Aquarium Gravel Stones for Succulents Bonsai Terrarium Vase Fillers Fish Tank Indoor Outdoor Garden Decor(6-9 mm) https://a.co/d/eFlkR8n

• Thanks 1

I haven't used either but, as an addition to nabokovfan's suggestion, Sera Black gravel also looks cool and seems suitable for the size you want. Their page says it does not affect water parameters. I couldn't see any experiences because it is super duper expensive here. You can easily buy aquasoil here for that price instead of a gravel here.

https://www.sera.de/us/product/marine-aquarium/sera-gravel-black/

Seachem's one seem to be more commonly used tho.

What I would advice is, I commonly see some black colored substrates having so much iron in it. So in some forums, I've read some people having hard time keeping snails alive or having iron related algae issues, or even some sort of rust build up over time! So I would make sure to search for experiences and confirm the one you will buy has no issues.

Edited by Lennie
  • Thanks 1

I've put this small gravel in a 10g and I like the color and how it looks. It's big chain product but it doesn't affect the water, not coated with anything and claims to be kiln dried. The 20 lb bag is 24.99 at PetSmart, Aqua Natural Aquarium Gravel - Midnight Pearl. I don't like to promote the chain store stuff but this gravel has been safe for me and looks good.

• Thanks 1

On 1/31/2023 at 3:47 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I use the seachem fluorite black.

For a Betta tank you might be able to get some pond style gravel (those black river rocks common for gardens and planters).

Anothera Stones for Plants, 3LB Smooth Natural Black River Rocks, Plant Aquarium Gravel Stones for Succulents Bonsai Terrarium Vase Fillers Fish Tank Indoor Outdoor Garden Decor(6-9 mm) https://a.co/d/eFlkR8n

Nice, thanks so much, I will check it out!  Appreciate your help!!!! 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 4:05 PM, Lennie said:

I haven't used either but, as an addition to nabokovfan's suggestion, Sera Black gravel also looks cool and seems suitable for the size you want. Their page says it does not affect water parameters. I couldn't see any experiences because it is super duper expensive here. You can easily buy aquasoil here for that price instead of a gravel here.

What I would advice is, I commonly see some black colored substrates having so much iron in it. So in some forums, I've read some people having hard time keeping snails alive or having iron related algae issues, or even some sort of rust build up over time! So I would make sure to search for experiences and confirm the one you will buy has no issues.

It’s so funny you mention the Sera because that’s number one on my list.    I can only find it on EBay and it’s shipped from the UK so the shipping is more than the gravel, but it’s an option.  I’d really love to find it without the hefty shipping charge.  

Thank you too about letting me know about the iron.  I definitely don’t want to harm the sbails.  I used the Dark brown/reddish  Flourite in a tank I’ve since torn down.  I’m not sure I will go that route but will research first.  

Thank you again!  If you know of anyone that sells Sera besides EBay, I’d love to know.  But I’m thinking prob not since I’ve been on the hunt.   

On 1/31/2023 at 4:54 PM, sankaz said:

I've put this small gravel in a 10g and I like the color and how it looks. It's big chain product but it doesn't affect the water, not coated with anything and claims to be kiln dried. The 20 lb bag is 24.99 at PetSmart, Aqua Natural Aquarium Gravel - Midnight Pearl. I don't like to promote the chain store stuff but this gravel has been safe for me and looks good.

Nice, I will check this one out too!  I really appreciate your help!

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 4:05 PM, Lennie said:

You’re also right, I spend a fortune on Aquasoil so it may be worth the splurge.  So tempting!  

• Like 1