Mollies, Gourami, and Beta

Louise02

I thought it was probably a dwarf gourami, but was hoping it wasn't.  They're beautiful fish, and very popular, but because of that popularity commercial breeders haven't been as selective as they should be when choosing breeding stock.

Unfortunately they are often plagued with health and behavior issues.  When they approach maturity they often become very aggressive to any tank mates (if they live long enough).

If you keep it in a tank with other fish I'd suggest keeping a close eye on it and have a backup plan in place if that happens.

On 2/4/2023 at 9:17 AM, JettsPapa said:

I thought it was probably a dwarf gourami, but was hoping it wasn't.  They're beautiful fish, and very popular, but because of that popularity commercial breeders haven't been as selective as they should be when choosing breeding stock.

Unfortunately they are often plagued with health and behavior issues.  When they approach maturity they often become very aggressive to any tank mates (if they live long enough).

If you keep it in a tank with other fish I'd suggest keeping a close eye on it and have a backup plan in place if that happens.

Thank you.  I will.  Honestly, I don't like this gourami; I've never had such an active, aggressive fish before.  I've mostly kept guppies, bettas, ADF, and other mellow creatures.  This is, however, my child's aquarium, so I have to do what I can to make it all work out.  I'd really like to just give him away.  That said, I appreciate your advise, and I will keep a hospital tank open in case we need to come up with other long-term arrangements.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2023 at 10:08 AM, Louise02 said:

Hello!  Someone else picked out these fish.  Honestly, gourami was never on my list of options, but the salesclerk sold it.  From what I can tell, it looks like a dwarf gourami.

I don't know what kind of betta it is, but it is a female.  She is so calm and peaceful that I don't want to bother her with a community, but she doesn't eat well.  I will need something to clean up her tank.  I have to offer her a little food, but, so far, what I have offered has ended up in the substrate.  Perhaps switch to live food?

Just about everything will eat when it gets hungry enough. I had a killifish that wouldn’t eat anything when it got to my tank. I tried everything. It finally started eating about a week and a week and a half. It just had to settle into the tank. 
you can try live food (I love live baby brine for my tanks) to get something in her, but you could always try waiting it out.

On 2/4/2023 at 8:13 PM, ccc24 said:

Just about everything will eat when it gets hungry enough. I had a killifish that wouldn’t eat anything when it got to my tank. I tried everything. It finally started eating about a week and a week and a half. It just had to settle into the tank. 
you can try live food (I love live baby brine for my tanks) to get something in her, but you could always try waiting it out.

Thank you!  Hope you're right!  In the mean time I have fresher food coming...just in case.  Thank you!