Wendilov Java Fern Trouble

Martin

Good morning gang!

I used to have a lot of success with windelov java ferns to the point that they would thrive with little effort and grow large and full in my previous tank.  However, once I upgraded to a 20g, I've had a lot of difficulties.  The rhizomes are not buried but are secured to rocks loosely with thread, but leaves always slowly turn brown/black and ultimately resulting in the plant rotting away.  I've tried light at various levels as my previous "successful" tank had higher light and resulted in BBA, so I dialed it back.  I always though java ferns were low light anyway, so I figured that wasn't the issue.  In terms of parameters and habits (which are pretty much the same as how the previous tank was cared for):

Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: <20ppm
pH: 7.0-7.5
KH: 180ppm
GH: 30ppm

20g long with 25-30% water changes every 2 weeks, dosed with ACO EZ Green as directed, low light for 6 hours daily (all plants are low light plants).

Thanks in advance!

Thanks @Theplatymaster, admittedly, I've never tried to just dose for nitrates.  What product do you use?  I have some Fritz's ammonia for cycling purposes.  Can that be used?  I just read up on potassium nitrate, but I don't have any on hand, so was curious if Fritz's is a viable route.

EDIT: Revised questions as Google answered a few of them.

Edited by Martin

On 1/29/2023 at 11:01 AM, Martin said:

Thanks @Theplatymaster, admittedly, I've never tried to just dose for nitrates.  What product do you use?  I have some Fritz's ammonia for cycling purposes.  Can that be used?  I just read up on potassium nitrate, but I don't have any on hand, so was curious if Fritz's is a viable route.

EDIT: Revised questions as Google answered a few of them.

i just use Easy Green.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Martin, I had the same experience that you are describing, where my Wendelovs went from lush and thriving to brown,black, and dying off. Another forum member identified the potential problem as potassium deficiency. Pinholes in leaves on some other plants in the same tanks validated this theory. I was using Easy Green 2x per week but my tank was very heavily planted and had a thick layer of duckweed, which may have made a difference. I started using Flourish Potassium in August and the problem has resolved. 

I add the potassium once or sometimes twice a week when I add Easy Green. After a few weeks I started to see results and I cut away the old cruddy leaves so the plant could put all its energy into the new leaves. I am happy with the results. 

As an added bonus (for me), the potassium also seems to be helping my Java moss, which had died away almost totally before I started the potassium.

Here are mine today. Still only about half their original size but all the new growth looks healthy.

2064288846_IMG_2589(1).jpg.78bdfbdcefc270b298c494c43834c52c.jpg226002532_IMG_2588(1).jpg.d0468ec9d37f45b3ff4dc9ef8d8187fe.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thank you guys!  I'm kind of in the middle of an observation phase.  I purchased some supplemental nitrogen and am observing for the results as I also have a pretty heavily planted tank and I think at least one of the problems was a nitrogen deficiency.  I'll look into that one next.  It's very strange to me, a houseplant dies and I'm like, "Doh."  A plant in the tank dies and it's "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

I heard java fern appreciates a bit of calcium as it’s largely found along freshwater streams… it’s also mostly partially submerged, only becoming completely submerged with increased rainfall … I noticed regular dosing, co2, current, and not having your water too soft greatly helps this and other ferns… 

http://fhurzan.blogspot.com/2011/12/java-fern.html

• Thanks 1