Catching/moving fish ... Does this get easier??!?

YYC Carrie

hey everyone,

I like to provide decor and plants for my fish to be comfortable but despite watching multiple vids explaining how to wrangle the little beggars when I need to move them, it seems like once a fish goes in my aquariums, that's it since I can not, for the life of me, get it out of there if I realize it needs to move.

Help please! Lol

I've never figured it out.  Bare bottom quarantine tanks it's not too bad.  If there's one plant or stick in there though... game over.

Bigger fish aren't too bad and I think if fish are used to a net they're better behaved.  Most of us net our fish basically never, though, so they're always nutcases in my experience.  I had a rummynose die when netting them this summer to move to another tank.  It had wedged itself in under something or had a heart attack or who knows what.

I also don't think I'm a very good fish-netter.  What I will say is that the faster I try to go, the worse it ends up.  It seems if I focus on slow going they're easier to catch.  

• Like 1

The bottle trap works good if you are patient, but it does stress the fish. But so does catching with a net. Check youtube, the trap saved me some nerves. I try to keep the net stable and force the fish into it with my hand or other net. But they find the smallest gap to go away. I have been attempting to catch two specific ember tetras out of a 360l tank and it has been like a week now and I am nowhere closer 🙂

In my experience it does not get easier. I realized this and started putting something into practice. After quarantine, I will place fish where they will be for life. This requires a ton of thought and does not always work out 100% of the time, however I’d estimate about 90% success rate. In the instances that I absolutely must move said species, I lower the water lever to about 2” and it becomes much faster work. I always have a 32 gallons of fresh water on hand to toss in as soon as everyone has been wrangled. I try to do this as little as possible, hence I spend a ton of time planning. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/23/2023 at 7:44 AM, Mynameisnobody said:

In my experience it does not get easier. I realized this and started putting something into practice. After quarantine, I will place fish where they will be for life. This requires a ton of thought and does not always work out 100% of the time, however I’d estimate about 90% success rate. In the instances that I absolutely must move said species, I lower the water lever to about 2” and it becomes much faster work. I always have a 32 gallons of fresh water on hand to toss in as soon as everyone has been wrangled. I try to do this as little as possible, hence I spend a ton of time planning. 

This is where I will be some day.... I just really started. I've made some newblet mistakes imo. For one example, too many of one species in a tank. I got 6 Siamese algae eaters in my 55 because "learned" they do best in groups of six and that 55gallons will be good for them. I saw one of them all alone at my LFS having been left behind as the last one individual. I felt bad for him and brought him home, bringing the total to 7 since he was of a similar size. I got the SIA's specifically because of black beard algae having "learned" that they are pretty much the only algae eater that will eat it. Problem was I already had a group of super red bristle nose plecos, again because I "learned" they do better in groups of at least 3. I like that they won't get big. Now I know a bit more and I have a 90 gallon that would benefit from some of them. I want to move 4 of them over there. In the 90 I have a metric butt ton of convicts that I want to get some of them out - can't catch those little beggars either. So much frustration lol. I am enjoying it though.

There are more issues I am learning about but for now, this is my biggest "problem". All my fish appear to be healthy and happy and I am counting the green hue in one, and a nice layer of milk building in another as huge successes for now. 😺

@beastieWhat is this bottle trap you speak of???👀

• Like 1

On 1/23/2023 at 8:19 PM, Mynameisnobody said:

@YYC Carrie It seems like you have a good grasp of what you’re doing. Mistakes will always happen, no matter your experience level. It’s the one thing that keeps me glued to this hobby, is the constant learning/experiments. 

Yes, I believe this is what's going to keep me going in it. I have tried, as I mentioned in my intro post, a few times. This time though, I am still enjoying it with more than a couple of months in. I won't lie though, it's tough to find a group or forum that doesn't just slam you for even asking a question. I like how Cory has created this community and works hard to disseminate consistent, ACCURATE, solid, helpful advice and knowledge.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2023 at 4:13 PM, YYC Carrie said:

Thank you!! I might be able to catch some of these convicts out. Does eating the bread hurt them or make them sick?

Well ofcourse use bottle appropriate to the size of the fish and use fish food, not bread. Works best if fish were not fed few days prior

On 1/24/2023 at 8:42 AM, Plechoeco said:

I’ve seen Cory use this technique in some videos. I haven’t been able to do it well yet, but want to try and do it this way when I need to catch fish moving forward. 

I've watched and rewatched this video. I have succeeded in having the stars align for me one time allowing successful netting of a fish. Usually it's complicated by either a piece of decor or, more frequently, the support beam plastic piece in the middle

I think netting fish does get easier with experience. You'll also learn what works for what species that you have. You'll learn that bigger nets work better for faster swimming fish. Get two hands in there, and use one hand to slowly herd fish (individuals or groups) into a waiting net, that is set up in a corner or between a couple of plants or decorations. 

Try to never net fish when you have a tight timeline. If you only have 5 mins, you'll need 30. If you have 2 hrs, you'll only need 5 mins. 

Use vertical space to your advantage. Some mid and top swimming fish are easier to catch if you get a big net under them, and come up from below. 

Usually, moving slowly works better. If you're chasing them down, they're going to win. 

Sometimes I get the fish trapped in a net against the front glass, but they refuse to swim into the bag part of the net, and I know they can scoot around the rim of the net the second it comes near the surface. I've found that a quick "scaring" motion with your hand on your side of the glass can cause them to swim back into the bag. 

Also, don't get frustrated. Have a plan, and be patient with it. For example, if you set your net on one side of the tank, and use your hand to herd the fish around that plant, along the glass there, and past that heater, and the fish escapes at the last second and goes right back to where you started, you might have to try that same thing 8 more times. Or 20. But take it slow. Fish are not rocket scientists, and you'll be able to predict where they escape your plan and head them off earlier the next time. Or the time after that. Or after that. 

Also consider that sometimes, if all the stars align and you put the net in just right, and you're not rushing, the fish might just swim in for you. 🙂 Although that usually only works for the fish that is beside the one you actually want to catch. 

And when all else fails, leave yourself enough time to take out decorations, filters, heaters, wood, floating plants or whatever, then net the fish. And maybe it's even a good chance to pull up that overgrown crypt or sword, cut it back, and replant it smaller when you're done. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what @TOtrees said. Patience and practice go a long way towards success with fish netting as well as understanding the habits of the species you are trying to catch.

For me, I was able to get better at it by working in fish stores during the 80s, having to catch a particular fish for a customer hundreds of times a day.  I still have vivd memories of having to catch a certain goldfish out of a tank with a 1000 feeder goldfish in it because a child got a free goldfish coupon at their school field day. What a joy that was!

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2023 at 9:28 AM, TOtrees said:

I think netting fish does get easier with experience. You'll also learn what works for what species that you have. You'll learn that bigger nets work better for faster swimming fish. Get two hands in there, and use one hand to slowly herd fish (individuals or groups) into a waiting net, that is set up in a corner or between a couple of plants or decorations. 

Try to never net fish when you have a tight timeline. If you only have 5 mins, you'll need 30. If you have 2 hrs, you'll only need 5 mins. 

Use vertical space to your advantage. Some mid and top swimming fish are easier to catch if you get a big net under them, and come up from below. 

Usually, moving slowly works better. If you're chasing them down, they're going to win. 

Sometimes I get the fish trapped in a net against the front glass, but they refuse to swim into the bag part of the net, and I know they can scoot around the rim of the net the second it comes near the surface. I've found that a quick "scaring" motion with your hand on your side of the glass can cause them to swim back into the bag. 

Also, don't get frustrated. Have a plan, and be patient with it. For example, if you set your net on one side of the tank, and use your hand to herd the fish around that plant, along the glass there, and past that heater, and the fish escapes at the last second and goes right back to where you started, you might have to try that same thing 8 more times. Or 20. But take it slow. Fish are not rocket scientists, and you'll be able to predict where they escape your plan and head them off earlier the next time. Or the time after that. Or after that. 

Also consider that sometimes, if all the stars align and you put the net in just right, and you're not rushing, the fish might just swim in for you. 🙂 Although that usually only works for the fish that is beside the one you actually want to catch. 

And when all else fails, leave yourself enough time to take out decorations, filters, heaters, wood, floating plants or whatever, then net the fish. And maybe it's even a good chance to pull up that overgrown crypt or sword, cut it back, and replant it smaller when you're done. 

A lot of great tips! I have tried some of them, but not gonna lie, I'm not the most patient person in the world when it comes to things like this LOL... hhmm, aquarium keeping as a road to self growth?? who'd-a-thunk it. 😉

Seriously though, thank you for taking the time to type all this out, I will definitely keep working at it, thank you for the encouragement. 🙂

On 1/24/2023 at 1:23 PM, Lots Of Loaches said:

...... I still have vivd memories of having to catch a certain goldfish out of a tank with a 1000 feeder goldfish in it because a child got a free goldfish coupon at their school field day. What a joy that was!

Joy, yes, that's the word 😉 lmao~!

then again, I'm that customer who goes "I need x number of females and y number of females cause that's what I read is best for keeping in groups of these", also, I am the customer that says I want *THAT* one. TBF though, I do try to curb that tendency, however, the only way to do that successfully for me is to show the employee the tank I want fish from, and which type if there are multiple species, tell them how many I want and go to a different set of tanks while they catch the fish. This is likely also problematic but I do the best I can to be as NOT annoying as I can LOL.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:14 AM, Plechoeco said:

Ah ok. Well we’ll see how it goes for me as I’m working to set up a 55 gal right now which will be my first tank with a middle support and with live plants in the way! 

Good luck!!! let me know how it goes!

What I like to do when giving endlers to my lfs, I break off a tiny bit of hikari algae wafer put it in my net, put the net in the water, close the tank lid so it is holding the handle of the net. Then I go do anything I need to do before leaving (in the process waiting a few minutes) come back and usually there are 1-3 fish either eating the wafer bit, or just being curious; at this point you just scoop them up! Great part about it, depending on the “bait” you will only get certain fish! When using algae wafers I only got shrimp and endlers (both of which I was planning on giving away)

• Like 1