How to medicate with ich-x + maracyn?

ccmay

Hi all, I am a brand new (2 months) fish mom, so still learning everything.  Bear with me please!  My betta has fin rot and also some pock marking that is spreading over his head. I am following the advice over at https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/faqs/how-to-use-quaratine-med-trio and the video how to cure fin rot the easy way https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wICf_0o6ys4 and using a maracyn and ich-x combo. I have Flippy in a 5g tank.  I started the medicine today, using 1/2 tsp ich-x and 1/2 packet maracyn.  Going forward is that it for the medicine, just let him sit in it for 7 days or do I add more tomorrow (or any other day)?  I'm also nervous about not feeding him for seven days.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  Thank you!

What I would do is a full course of maracyn following the instructions on the box I would also add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 3 gallons and some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties you might have to add one leaf per gallon to get a beneficial effect depending on the quality of leaves  you can feed during treatment just reduce the feeding to once a day if you were feeding twice a day or every other day @ccmay

Thank you very much for the advice and the quick response!  I'll continue on with the same water then, leaving the ich-x in it, until a water change.  The only question is whether the water change should be day 6, per the box instructions, or day 7, per the sources mentioned in my first post. Maybe it doesn't matter, but I'm afraid to mess it up!

On 1/21/2023 at 11:33 AM, ccmay said:

Thanks very much for your help.

Also, do you have any idea what the pockmarking could be or is it too hard to see in the photos?

It's difficult to tell of your pictures It could be caused by a bacterial infection  what I would do is update us after a full course of maracyn 

• 1 month later...

Hi, as an update, I did the full course of maracyn, then waited a couple weeks to see if it helped. It didn't seem to make a difference, so then i tried ich-x. I did that for 5 days with the daily water changes but Flippy's fins got worse so I stopped. It's been 2 weeks since then and he has gotten progressively worse. His fins are starting to turn grey towards their ends and are looking more raggedy.  Do you have any ideas about what to do next? Is there a stronger anti biotic I could try? I'm at a loss as to what to do. Thank you so much for your help.

20230214_205405.jpg

Most cases of Fin rot are caused by gram negative bacterial what I would do is add Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties and aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons  and do a course of maracyn2 in food it's a more broad spectrum antibiotic treatment feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days @ccmay

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg

• Like 1