What bulkhead to use

bryanisag

I'm starting to build my fish room and have some tanks ready to drill. I'm aiming to have an auto water change system the same as Corry uses in the store and in his fish room. I know he has gone over it many times but I still have some questions.

What size bulkhead do I need? 

On the inside of the tank can I put a street 90 elbow?

Do I point it straight up?

Do I need to put a strainer on it?

Is there a video I possibly missed that explains it?

I am using 40 gallon breeders and 10 gallon aquariums. I would like the water level to stay high as well as keep a lid on it.

Is there a conflict of space here?

Do fry and shrimp go over the overflow often? 

Screenshot_20230104-214117.png

Sounds like a great build! Share some pictures as you go! 

The bulkhead is dependent on the size of your drain pipe and really dependent on the size of the hole you drilled (or will drill). Its also compounded by your return pump, the distance and head pressure and such. Most of the time a 1 inch PVC or larger for the drain while 3/4 for the return would be fine for a rack of 40breeders.  

The street elbow is possible but probably not ideal. Unless you have a floor drain and are will to take the chance, a clog and a small flood is likely. It will also make a lot of sucking noise. Positioned at an angle would be quieter. A stainer on the top may also make it quieter but more likely to clog (plant leaves, duckweed, dead fish, snails, etc). Ideally an overflow box would safer, more obtrusive and more more costly but generally safer. 

Here is a little video and chart about how to size them and how to install them. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/how-to-properly-install-a-bulkhead-in-your-aquarium

Not sure I helped or made it more confusing.

I ended up doing something similar with small acrylic overflow boxes siliconed over the street elbow/drain on a couple 40b plumbed to a sump. Found something on Etsy.

Something like this...  image.png.422a0214bd5e7372e4fd3fcbbb58666e.png

• Like 1

On 1/6/2023 at 6:24 AM, ScottieB said:

Sounds like a great build! Share some pictures as you go! 

The bulkhead is dependent on the size of your drain pipe and really dependent on the size of the hole you drilled (or will drill). Its also compounded by your return pump, the distance and head pressure and such. Most of the time a 1 inch PVC or larger for the drain while 3/4 for the return would be fine for a rack of 40breeders.  

The street elbow is possible but probably not ideal. Unless you have a floor drain and are will to take the chance, a clog and a small flood is likely. It will also make a lot of sucking noise. Positioned at an angle would be quieter. A stainer on the top may also make it quieter but more likely to clog (plant leaves, duckweed, dead fish, snails, etc). Ideally an overflow box would safer, more obtrusive and more more costly but generally safer. 

Here is a little video and chart about how to size them and how to install them. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/how-to-properly-install-a-bulkhead-in-your-aquarium

Not sure I helped or made it more confusing.

I ended up doing something similar with small acrylic overflow boxes siliconed over the street elbow/drain on a couple 40b plumbed to a sump. Found something on Etsy.

Something like this...  image.png.422a0214bd5e7372e4fd3fcbbb58666e.png

That's very helpful! 

I've put half inch bulkheads in all my tanks (to match with half inch plumbing/fittings) and haven't had any issues with clogging or flow rate. Whether to put a screen or not will depend on whether you have fry, shrimps, snails, floating plants etc. This might vary from tank to tank. Some of mine have screens, some have screens with sponge over the screen, and some are open to the sky. 

One trick I figured out that has helped a lot is to add a short piece of tubing and a second elbow inside the tank, at 90 degrees to the bulkhead. This allows you to fine tune the water level by rotating the pipe coming out of the bulkhead like the hand on a clock. 

image.png.5be1415174dee1dec1ca982516e6b4fc.png

Also note that the screen in the pic above has been cut to be shorter, so that the lid will fit over it. If you want a high waterline, you'll likely have to so the same, if you place the screens in upright position/orientation. 

• Love 1

On 1/6/2023 at 11:22 AM, TOtrees said:

I've put half inch bulkheads in all my tanks (to match with half inch plumbing/fittings) and haven't had any issues with clogging or flow rate. Whether to put a screen or not will depend on whether you have fry, shrimps, snails, floating plants etc. This might vary from tank to tank. Some of mine have screens, some have screens with sponge over the screen, and some are open to the sky. 

One trick I figured out that has helped a lot is to add a short piece of tubing and a second elbow inside the tank, at 90 degrees to the bulkhead. This allows you to fine tune the water level by rotating the pipe coming out of the bulkhead like the hand on a clock. 

image.png.5be1415174dee1dec1ca982516e6b4fc.png

Also note that the screen in the pic above has been cut to be shorter, so that the lid will fit over it. If you want a high waterline, you'll likely have to so the same, if you place the screens in upright position/orientation. 

Wow that's really useful insite and advice. Thanks for the picture. I noticed that the tanks in Cory's fish store all have a little pipe cap looking thing above the lid and I now think it's covering the strainer. I really appreciate your response 

• Like 1