Growths on Longfin White Cloud fins

Devon

White growths on end of fins. Some are also showing signs of (what I think are) torn fins. A lot of breeding behavior and one male chases a lot. I was just about to start trying to breed them for the first time until I noticed this. 

Not sure if these are infections from fin nipping or an illness. Any thoughts appreciated. 

**Test strip results below in pictures** 10g planted with a temp of 73F (room temp, no heater).  Tanks been up for about 2 years, white clouds were moved in about 3 weeks ago. I’ve had the white clouds for over a year, just in a different tank. 

08FB0D6A-DDF2-4E57-B1FA-FE018AFB7865.png

3A9E60B5-6A2C-4876-803B-5549A2E65C0D.jpeg

7F2267AB-785E-435F-910F-7D7FCC069ADF.jpeg

E7608CE9-FA26-4A33-B8C8-9E0D18F1128B.jpeg

On 1/4/2023 at 2:07 AM, Devon M said:

It does appear fuzzy, it looks similar to a wet Q tip. 

It's more than likely a fungal infection you can treat with combination of ick x and maracyn to treat fungal infection's it will also help with any potential fin rot

IMG_20230104_025815.jpg

On 1/3/2023 at 9:00 PM, Colu said:

It's more than likely a fungal infection you can treat with combination of ick x and maracyn to treat fungal infection's it will also help with any potential fin rot

IMG_20230104_025815.jpg

Right on, I’ll give it a go! Thanks for the response 🙌

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/3/2023 at 9:00 PM, Colu said:

IMG_20230104_025815.jpg

Others had developed some small growths as well by the next morning. But once I started the treatment it seemed to help. But now I realized 2 of my 7 have bent spines (I may have missed this initially)

Within the last week one two are up at the surface and in the corner of the tank and one of these has a red spot around the stomach (inside) and is staying near the surface and in the corner of the tank as of today. 

On 1/28/2023 at 3:00 AM, Devon M said:

Others had developed some small growths as well by the next morning. But once I started the treatment it seemed to help. But now I realized 2 of my 7 have bent spines (I may have missed this initially)

Within the last week one two are up at the surface and in the corner of the tank and one of these has a red spot around the stomach (inside) and is staying near the surface and in the corner of the tank as of today. 

I would test your water parameters just in case something off as high levels of nitrates can cause bent spines in fish make sure theirs  no ammonia or nitrite if they are fine  It could be a secondary bacterial infections I would do a course of kanaplex or maracyn2 they are more broad spectrum antibiotic treatments and add a Small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons at that level it shouldn't harm your plants and will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes I would also add an extra air stone during treatment to increase levels of desloved oxygen have proven to reduce mortality rates during treatment 

• 1 month later...
On 1/27/2023 at 9:41 PM, Colu said:

I would test your water parameters just in case something off as high levels of nitrates can cause bent spines in fish make sure theirs  no ammonia or nitrite if they are fine  It could be a secondary bacterial infections I would do a course of kanaplex or maracyn2 they are more broad spectrum antibiotic treatments and add a Small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 5 gallons at that level it shouldn't harm your plants and will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes I would also add an extra air stone during treatment to increase levels of desloved oxygen have proven to reduce mortality rates during treatment 

I wanted to come back. So whatever was going on cleared up, thanks to your help! My goal before this illness set in was to breed these Long fin White Clouds (my first breeding attempt in the hobby) and I currently have 9 fry that are 2 weeks old now and on frozen baby brine. Thanks again! 

• Like 1