Cycling 5 gallon tank

TracyM

Hello, I set up a new 5 gallon tank over the weekend. I used mostly bottled water with some tap. I added a few de-chlorinating drops and I used the FritzZyme nitrifying Bacteria as suggested and my water is still too acidic. Any suggestions to bring it more neutral?

Ugh I didn’t write down exact ph. My tank is at my office. I used the Beta test strips and it showed at the highest acidic level with those strips .

I also noted:

Nitrate-0-20

Nitrite-Safe at .5

Hardness- very soft

Chlorine- 0-0.5

Alkalinity- low

PH- acidic

Hmm, that's strange, bottled water is usually fairly neutral or even a bit alkaline. For now I would concentrate on getting the tank cycled, but you can test the tap water and if it's less acidic then use that instead of the bottled water. You could also wait until it is cycled and then slowly change the water using tap water. That'll save you from buying new FritzZyme. 

On 12/19/2022 at 4:26 PM, TracyM said:

I have plenty of FritzZyme left, that’s no problem. I can do a partial water change tomorrow. I read somewhere that adding a little baking soda to tank can help neutralize it🥴is that true?

Yeah, but you should be ok if your tap water is closer to neutral. That'll be easier than trying to chase a certain PH.