Platys squared off how soon till they give birth

Hawyun

That to me looks like a prolapse. It happens with live bearers because of giving birth. It's basically the colon protruding out. It's not a good sign ever but especially before giving birth rather than after. I usually do not ever recommend moving pregnant live bearers but in this case she needs some salt to help it go back in because soon she will be pushing things out. 

Here is an article ACO made for using salt for treatment. I recommend going straight to level 3. Maybe increase it throughout the day and not all at once. Platies can tolerate, and even appreciate some salt so level 3 is fine. Like I said, you can start level 1 then several hours later level 2 then several hours later level 3 to be safe but you can bump it up faster than with most other species. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

Oh and I will add, the salt will not harm the fry. If she does well with it I would just let her birth the fry in the hospital tank. 

On 12/18/2022 at 4:44 PM, T. Payne said:

Any update on the fish? This doesn't look like anything related to giving birth in my opinion.

It hasnt givin birth yet I am going to start on a salt regime and see what happens

On 12/18/2022 at 4:55 PM, Cinnebuns said:

That to me looks like a prolapse. It happens with live bearers because of giving birth. It's basically the colon protruding out. It's not a good sign ever but especially before giving birth rather than after. I usually do not ever recommend moving pregnant live bearers but in this case she needs some salt to help it go back in because soon she will be pushing things out. 

Here is an article ACO made for using salt for treatment. I recommend going straight to level 3. Maybe increase it throughout the day and not all at once. Platies can tolerate, and even appreciate some salt so level 3 is fine. Like I said, you can start level 1 then several hours later level 2 then several hours later level 3 to be safe but you can bump it up faster than with most other species. 

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/aquarium-salt-for-sick-fish

Oh and I will add, the salt will not harm the fry. If she does well with it I would just let her birth the fry in the hospital tank. 

On 12/19/2022 at 12:31 PM, Hawyun said:

It hasnt givin birth yet I am going to start on a salt regime and see what happens

I dont have another tank to move her to. I will start witht he salt