Kentucky geology

meadeam

I spent some time in the Red River Gorge over the long weekend.  I'm always fascinated by this formation that can be found in many of the hundreds of caves/amphitheaters.  

PXL_20221125_221122386_MP.jpg.e44c7e76d1fd8a6293ed7a06f8a568e5.jpg

The rock is sandstone, but whatever causes some of these formations seems to be a much harder mineral.  There is  another formation that almost seems like it contains iron ore, though I doubt that is what it is.  I've never actually researched it, choosing instead to continue being fascinated and not knowing.   I am positive this was once the bottom of an ocean.

Kids for scale:

PXL_20221125_221525333.jpeg.80f383b4cf0b4c733a2da99eabd2920f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

The Gorge is so full of beautiful rock formations, and your "kids for scale" shows it well. I love seeing them when we go but also don't know or research what types of stone they are. I stay in my history-imagination brain and try to imagine what early people, even early European settlers, made of all the arches and formations. Imagine coming from some mostly flat place like England and finding yourself in the steep ridges, overhangs and arches of the Kentucky hills...

Also a great state for waterfall hikes!

IMG_1190.JPG