fish behavior question

venzi

Hi.  I have a female platy that seemed to have a slightly bloated stomach and it was at the top of the water column making bubbles.  She was doing this for as long as I observed yesterday for like an hour at least.  Today, she's moving around the tank and not doing that anymore.  Anyone know what might cause her to do this?  I did notice a white spot next to her top fin, but she's had a history of having 2 other white spots appear then disappear.  Her appetite is fine. 

I noticed that in the same tank, two of my female bettas would lightly touch some surface (like the uplift tube for my UGF) and then "flash/dart" away.  They did that a few times yesterday and I noticed it again just now.  Is there a term for this type of behavior?  I was beginning to think that there might be some infection at the skin that would cause pain.  

All the fish in my tank have a healthy appetite, but something feels off.  Ammonia is at zero.  The one major change is that I was away on a trip for three days.  So I was fasting them and I didn't have the house heated so the heater in the tank prob kept the tank at approx 70F (maybe a bit lower at the coldest parts of the day).  Anyways, I started the whole tank on some meds to be sure.  

Edited by venzi

Typically Betta's do be best at 78-82 so the temperature dropping to 70 could be the cause of what your seeing  with them I would recommend adding a heater to their tank your platys would be fine going down to 70 i would keep and eye on your Betta's as stress caused by low temperature can weaken their immune system leading to fin rot or ich  its possible your female platy was having trouble giving birth that would explain why she looked bloated @venzi

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1