Suction screen vs overflow box

Snodgers

Has anyone had experience with using a suction screen for the outlet taking water to a sump filter in a freshwater tank? I'm upgrading my tank and the upgrade is drilled, but the overflow box for my old tank is a HOB style, and the top of the new tank is such it won't accommodate the HOB overflow even if I plugged the holes. 

Pros and cons of both?

Thanks in advance!

16686513837645923793929038440816.jpg

All my tanks have this type of bulkhead screen. I don't use any overflow boxes. In my case, the bulkhead drain to a reservoir that gets pumped out as waste water (or reused if possible, I'm not a monster 😛 ), and not recirculated via sump filter.

I don't have any pics, but the screens attach to a pvc elbow that comes up from the bulkhead itself. So the filter screen points up, if you will. In some cases, I have to snip the top few levels or rungs/rings off the screens so they fit under the lid/cover (bc I keep fairly high water levels).

Recently I modded the setup to allow the water level to be adjusted more easily, by adding a second elbow. Now the first pvc elbow (the one connecting to the bulkhead) turns to the side, then a short pvc tube, then another elbow turns up which holds the screen. By rotating the pvc in the bulkhead, like manually turning the hands of a clock, I can easily adjust the level where the water drains. 

For tanks with small fry, I include a ring of sponge around the screen. 

• Like 1