Fish death

CJs Aquatics

Hey all, would it be a poor practice to remove a dead fish and allow another fish to eat it? I’m assuming so bc of issues such as cross contamination etc. however I thought I would ask the forum… example: guppy dies, feed it to something that will eat it immediately, would it be more of a risk then a reward?

@lefty o so I’ve never done it, and oftentimes can’t be positive, but for more info, sometimes I have guppies die, nothing crazy like one a week or every 2 weeks out of hundreds in a healthy community tank. So I saw a dead fish which I would usually remove fast, and thought, I wonder if my picky eater puffers would dispose of this for me and figured I would ask the forum. They seem to only eat live foods which is a pain…I’ve seen plecos eat dead fish I didn’t get to fast enough and they have remained healthy and breeding but I figured some opinions would be a good idea first 

My tank deals with small fish often I never see the bodies. 

I don't enjoy having dead fish in the tank so I remove bodies of I see them they generally have have been nibbled, if I owned something that could eat them quickly that issue would be resolved not sure I would though.

I will add that I lost nearly a whole tank if fish due to a large fish dieing while I was away and spoiled the water very quickly. So fish to water ratio is a factor to consider. 

I have seen Cory throw dead guppies to turtles on some of his fish room tours.

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 11:30 PM, Schuyler said:

My LFS puts dead fish in their snail tank that they use to raise ramshorns for their pea puffers

That's where I put my mystery snail clutches is in the ramshorn cull tank. That's the only thing I feed that tank and there's hundreds lol

• Like 2

On 11/15/2022 at 9:36 AM, Schuyler said:

I thought nothing are snail eggs. That's interesting

I thought so too. I've heard tales of fish that do but I've never seen it. I figured whats the harm in trying to throw them in because I had planned on not feeding that tank anyway. They do mostly eat the eggs themselves and leave leave the casing but when they get desperate enough they eat that too. 

20221115_163558.jpg

• Like 2