Electric Blue Acara Tankmates

GhostLincoln

Hi all, the TLDR - I have 1 Electric Blue Acara that grew much faster than I anticipated and I might be having some aggression issues. Looking for some advice. 

After a move and some other issues I slowly lost most of my 20 gallon community tank a few months ago. Down to 3 Red Beckford’s Pencilfish, 1 Pygmy Cory, and 2 ottos. Afterward one of my LFS had some juvenile Electric Blue Acaras in stock and I got one. 

My plan is to upgrade to a 40 gallon breeder and do a South American Biotope tank. The salesperson told me that they were relatively slow growing and a 40g would be fine for 2-3 of them. Well now my Acara is nearly 3.5-4 inches, and I’m down to 1 pencilfish. I haven’t directly seen aggression but haven’t found another issue. The male ECB seems to be leaving the Cory and ottos alone. 

My original plan was to have the ECB and some larger South American tetras, in a heavily planted 40g breeder but now I’m wondering if I’m setting myself up for more issues. Would getting 1-2 other ECBs help? I could always sell / trade him at a fish swap and go for some smaller SA Cichlids but I do really like the ECBs. Any thoughts or experiences would be helpful. 

84514A53-E81E-45BB-85FD-BF50884C3748.jpeg

• Like 1

(Note: From context, I assume, throughout your post, by "ECB" you are referring to "EBA" = Electric Blue acara)

I have some experience with Electric Blue Acaras. I raised a few hundred of them over the last several years. Here's one of the grown-out tanks (a 55 gal.)

1744898763_ScreenShot2022-04-14at8_06_34AM.png.0628630b9d510be8a20cde71df695c7c.png

They can live happily with Discus...

1906567561_Screenshot2022-11-12at3_04_37PM.png.3f7762d84b777e272163f51de273d18d.png

They can get along fine with Angels. They will eat whatever can fit into their mouth. I assume your Pencilfish are getting eat up early in the morning while they're still "woozy." Keep EBAs separate from Geophagus, Threadfin Acaras, and any other Cichlids that will appear more or less "con-specific." Mid to Large Tetras -- like BlackSkirt Tetras, Phantom Tetras, Buenos Aires Tetras, Candy-cane Tetras -- can all work with them.

When spawning, all bets are off. They'll vigorously defend their eggs & fry. Female tend to turn pale / platinum, -- especially yon the top of head. Face will appear dark contrasted with very light-colored body. Males retain their electric0blue coloration. Here's a male (left) with female (right)...

2142864228_Screenshot2022-11-12at3_04_56PM.png.dc36dc7deb0dd9ba32101eb3eed28f06.png

We've kept them with Firemouth Cichlids before. I have heard folks keep them with Blood Parrots.

Hope that helps!

Here's a couple videos...

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have 10 EBA fry that I just moved to a 10 gal tank to grow them out. They came from the middle clutch of 3 that my pair has had over the last several months. They are probably 1/2 in long, look exactly like yours. I wasn't even trying to set up everything perfect for them to breed but I am so proud of these fry. 20230624_102954.jpg.4ca5f23ab37281c3ec6aa26ecebaaa0f.jpg

20230624_102929.jpg

20230624_102935.jpg

20230624_103022.jpg

I’ve kept them. I just traded in a pair to a fish store that wouldn’t stop breeding.  I would not add a Firemouth to any of my tanks. I’ve kept them before and they make every other medium/small cichlid in the tank miserable with their territorial aggression. I would recommend Odessa Barbs with the lone blue acara. They are big enough not to get eaten, don’t fin nip and provide a great color contrast to the EBA. 

Edited by Peaceful Fish

• 3 months later...
On 11/12/2022 at 9:18 PM, Fish Folk said:

(Note: From context, I assume, throughout your post, by "ECB" you are referring to "EBA" = Electric Blue acara)

I have some experience with Electric Blue Acaras. I raised a few hundred of them over the last several years. Here's one of the grown-out tanks (a 55 gal.)

1744898763_ScreenShot2022-04-14at8_06_34AM.png.0628630b9d510be8a20cde71df695c7c.png

They can live happily with Discus...

1906567561_Screenshot2022-11-12at3_04_37PM.png.3f7762d84b777e272163f51de273d18d.png

They can get along fine with Angels. They will eat whatever can fit into their mouth. I assume your Pencilfish are getting eat up early in the morning while they're still "woozy." Keep EBAs separate from Geophagus, Threadfin Acaras, and any other Cichlids that will appear more or less "con-specific." Mid to Large Tetras -- like BlackSkirt Tetras, Phantom Tetras, Buenos Aires Tetras, Candy-cane Tetras -- can all work with them.

When spawning, all bets are off. They'll vigorously defend their eggs & fry. Female tend to turn pale / platinum, -- especially yon the top of head. Face will appear dark contrasted with very light-colored body. Males retain their electric0blue coloration. Here's a male (left) with female (right).

Hey. What size of a tank would you recommend for a pair of electric blue acaras? I was thinking about a 150 litre tank since I sadly don't have this much space.  I would like to add a small eel species and a Pantodon buchholzi. Does is seem to be okay?  

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 4:41 AM, JonnyP said:

Hey. What size of a tank would you recommend for a pair of electric blue acaras? I was thinking about a 150 litre tank since I sadly don't have this much space.  I would like to add a small eel species and a Pantodon buchholzi. Does is seem to be okay?  

A 150 liter (ca. 39 gal.) aquarium can work for EBAs. When young, you can keep half a dozen in there. But once they are fully mature, that aquarium will be best suited for a single breeding pair.

I have never kept freshwater eels or African Butterfly Fish. I rarely keep African species with American species. I have considered Congo Tetras with EBAs, but never pulled the trigger. The concern I would have about mixing Andinoacara with Pantodon is nipping on those long fins. Eels… I just know nothing about.

Let me share a few videos. These might give you some ideas.

(1) EBAs - adults in a 40-gal breeder, fry in a 20/gal long. Species-only…

(2) EBA fry grow-out in a 55-gal…

(3) EBA pair, Firemouth Cichlids, Ancistrus pair, a lone convict cichlid and a small school of Buenos Aires Tetras — all in a 55-gal…

Glad to followup if you have any questions. Because this is not my thread, type @Fish Folk in your reply so I am notified.

Edited by Fish Folk

On 9/26/2023 at 6:56 AM, JonnyP said:

@Fish Folkthank you very much for the reply. But does a 40 gallon tank with medium sized tankmates usually work with the EBA ?

A 40 gal. can work; however, I recommend acquiring sub-adult EBAs. They will accept their environment better if tank mates are already situated. As a general rule… “If it fits in a mouth, it goes in a mouth.” I never put small tetras in with them. 

On 9/26/2023 at 1:08 PM, Fish Folk said:

A 40 gal. can work; however, I recommend acquiring sub-adult EBAs. They will accept their environment better if tank mates are already situated. As a general rule… “If it fits in a mouth, it goes in a mouth.” I never put small tetras in with them. 

Okay thanks a lot. Greetings from Germany 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 1:30 PM, Fish Folk said:

Who's your team? We are hardcore La Liga fans, but definitely follow Bundesliga. Pep Guardiola at Bayern was a special era. 

Where are u from if u follow La Liga ? Bayern Munich is a special topic here. It’s generally only liked by the Bayern fans and all different fans usually hate Bayern. I’m proud Borussia Mönchengladbach Fan. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2023 at 7:35 AM, JonnyP said:

Where are u from if u follow La Liga ? Bayern Munich is a special topic here. It’s generally only liked by the Bayern fans and all different fans usually hate Bayern. I’m proud Borussia Mönchengladbach Fan. 

We live in USA. FC Barcelona fans here. We love Ter Stegen 🇩🇪 

• Like 1