Any real difference between peppered corys and high fin peppered corys?

KittenFishMom

Recently I bought several young peppered corys to help with cleaning the tanks. As they are growing, it is clean some are have normal fins and some have very long/high fins. Is they any difference other than the fins between the 2 varieties? Is one more aggressive or hardy? Should I keep they in different tanks when they get older? 

On 11/12/2022 at 4:56 PM, KittenFishMom said:

Recently I bought several young peppered corys to help with cleaning the tanks. As they are growing, it is clean some are have normal fins and some have very long/high fins. Is they any difference other than the fins between the 2 varieties? Is one more aggressive or hardy? Should I keep they in different tanks when they get older? 

Males naturally have thinner fins, and I’ve never heard of hi-fin Palaeatus Corys 🤔

My guess is that it is a bred for characteristics, if you are breeding them then you might want to separate to keep the lines but if you're not fussed I doubt they are.

I increased my stock of bronze corys recently with three long fin ones (only ones available)  they don't seem to worry about the difference.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2022 at 9:56 AM, KittenFishMom said:

When it comes to long or high fin in cories the only difference is that fin characteristic. Sometimes long fin varieties will grow larger but they can easily be kept with standard fin.  The only time you would want to keep them separate is if you are breeding for those fin characteristics. Even then, the longer fins can be bred when mixing. I have 2 female long fin cories in a colony of 12 cories total. 1 has high fin in addition to the long fin. My babies come out over 50% long fin and many come out high. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 11/12/2022 at 10:56 AM, KittenFishMom said:

I have one high finned peppered cory 

On 11/13/2022 at 5:58 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@TheSwissAquarist mine add a lot of personality to the tank. I love watching them putter around the tank.

Imy young corys are still small, and my camera skills are smaller, but I will try to get some photos. the hifins look like they are pretending to be sharks and the long fins look like they have cricket bat on they fins.

Can’t wait to see them!