Leech in my tank?

Allan

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I'll post an update. I started treatment 07/15 its been roughly 3 weeks. 

I put 1g of powder in 100g of water then dose with 10ml of the powder/water mix for my 10 gallon tank.

I dosed the tank every other day the first week.  Then once a week.  So we are at dose 8.  Did a water change and I still have live leeches and the snails are unaffected.  I have calendar reminders for the rest of the doses and I'll post updates should anything of interest happen.

Hi Allan please keep us updated on whether the febendazole ends up working - I didn't try that one when I had my leech infestation last summer so I would love to know.  Also - What kind of fish was it that you found dead with leech attached?  Do you think the leech killed it, or just fed on it after it died?

On 7/3/2023 at 12:17 PM, Guppysnail said:

Fenbendazole should do the trick. It blocks their ability to absorb nutrients and blocks the ability to use nutrients for energy from my understanding and they starve out. Other dewormers paralyze. Fenben kills. I use .1 gram per 10 gallons redone at 24 hours and 48 hours. I buy panacur -c dog dewormer and use a gram scale. I disolve the powder in a little bottle and dump it in. I make fresh each 24 hours for a total of 3 treatments. Usually does the job. 
On the 4th day I vac well to remove dead worms etc so their decomposition does not foul the water. 
Remove snails before treatment. It is shrimp safe but not snail safe. 

I had leeches in my 55 gallon tank. I am breaking it down to get rid of the leeches.  have taken everything out of the tank, except 4 stubborn fish that I am working on. The water is down to 1/5 full. I am only keeping one of the HOB filters. I will get rid of the substrate in the garden. I was planning on scrubbing the tank with salt and vinegar and soaking the HOB in peroxide. I RR-ed all the plants. I may do the RR treatment a second time to be extra sure. 

Any other advice so the leeches don't appear after the build.

On 8/12/2023 at 10:23 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I had leeches in my 55 gallon tank. I am breaking it down to get rid of the leeches.  have taken everything out of the tank, except 4 stubborn fish that I am working on. The water is down to 1/5 full. I am only keeping one of the HOB filters. I will get rid of the substrate in the garden. I was planning on scrubbing the tank with salt and vinegar and soaking the HOB in peroxide. I RR-ed all the plants. I may do the RR treatment a second time to be extra sure. 

Any other advice so the leeches don't appear after the build.

Let everything dry out really well. That way none can hide in nooks and crannies or up under the rim. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...