Low Temperature for Xiphophorus variatus

Robert Keeney

I have some Xiphophorus variatus in outdoor containers. Recently we had an unexpected low temperature for several nights. The water temperature was as low 44 degrees. The fish are fine. This got me wondering about what the lowest temperature these fish can survive in.

Do you have any first hand experience with this you would care to share?

On 10/27/2022 at 2:00 PM, Robert Keeney said:

I have some Xiphophorus variatus in outdoor containers. Recently we had an unexpected low temperature for several nights. The water temperature was as low 44 degrees. The fish are fine. This got me wondering about what the lowest temperature these fish can survive in.

Do you have any first hand experience with this you would care to share?

I’d say 50-55 degrees is the absolute benchmark on a permanent basis, and even then it’s not exactly optimal.

While I appreciate your interest, I am looking for someone with real-world experience with keeping this fish outdoors.

I have found nine collection sites in western Montana.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:31 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I’d say 50-55 degrees is the absolute benchmark on a permanent basis, and even then it’s not exactly optimal.

Do you know this from personal experience or from a reliable source?

On 10/27/2022 at 2:56 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

If you call a guy who painstakingly puts his out in May and brings them in in October (I’m in the alps, so winters are quite harsh) a reliable source then yes.

Have a nice evening!

Our weather is not harsh unless you count hurricanes. It rarely freezes here. Yes I think you will do for a reliable source.

It's not really relevant to my question, I did enjoy watching it.