Undergravel Filter Experiment

CJs Aquatics

E4ACB811-C80D-4B5C-92CF-C428AA0D35F7.jpeg.7e5cab6520b12985fe584e147456d8e4.jpegHey all, was servicing an aquarium that uses an undergravel filter, and had some extra materials present. I cut a strip of poly filter to place in one of the uptake tubes. I figure this might give me an idea of what’s going on in the aquarium at an easy glance. Perhaps the water quality immediately upon being filtered through the substrate. I just thought I would share but would love to hear your thoughts…

On 10/26/2022 at 2:17 PM, CJs Aquatics said:

E4ACB811-C80D-4B5C-92CF-C428AA0D35F7.jpeg.7e5cab6520b12985fe584e147456d8e4.jpegHey all, was servicing an aquarium that uses an undergravel filter, and had some extra materials present. I cut a strip of poly filter to place in one of the uptake tubes. I figure this might give me an idea of what’s going on in the aquarium at an easy glance. Perhaps the water quality immediately upon being filtered through the substrate. I just thought I would share but would love to hear your thoughts…

I would hope that you should see very minimal debris on the underside of the floss or the filtration isn’t doing what it should.  I would also worry that putting floss in there could inhibit water flow through the gravel/biofiltration. Have you dropped the water level to just below the outflow of the uplift tubes to see how much water flows with and without the floss?  If it slows the water flow, I wouldn’t leave it in there for long. A few days to see if gunk gets in the floss, sure, but make sure there’s still water flowing through OK. 

@TheSwissAquarist weather loach or “dojo loach” 

@Odd Duck thank you for the advice, I haven’t dropped the water level but so far the flow seemed ok and there isn’t any gunk on the underside. That’s that floss that changes colors based on what it takes out of your water, my idea was more of a warning then a filter…It actually is registering that somehow there is aluminum in my water bc it turned bright red, which I’ve never encountered before so this odd experiment just got even more odd… is the water supposed to be at a different level? I will admit I haven’t read up on undergravel filters in years

On 10/27/2022 at 10:39 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

@TheSwissAquarist weather loach or “dojo loach” 

@Odd Duck thank you for the advice, I haven’t dropped the water level but so far the flow seemed ok and there isn’t any gunk on the underside. That’s that floss that changes colors based on what it takes out of your water, my idea was more of a warning then a filter…It actually is registering that somehow there is aluminum in my water bc it turned bright red, which I’ve never encountered before so this odd experiment just got even more odd… is the water supposed to be at a different level? I will admit I haven’t read up on undergravel filters in years

No, the water doesn’t need to be low, it’s just a way to assess if your floss is slowing flow enough to be a problem.  When the water level drops during a water change, you can still see the water flowing out the tops of the tubes even when the water level is below the tops of the tubes.  Or at least you should still see some flowing over the tops when the water level is a bit below the tops.  How far below the tops of the tubes the water level is when water is still flowing gives you an idea of how much lift you’re getting.  I have one style of sponge filter that will still get lift with the water level over 2” below the outflow tube.  It’s the style with a fairly skinny outflow tube and no way to attach an airstone.  I should have a pic of the style.  Usually an UGF has wide tubes for more overall flow but less “focused” lift.  It won’t lift as high but still has more overall water flow through the filter if you were to measure the volume.  Pic of the one with good “lift” even if it doesn’t have a high flow rate.

32B4A224-85F9-4B5E-BE0A-F9558C6F93AC.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 3:38 PM, Odd Duck said:

No, it’s just a way to assess if your floss is slowing flow enough to be a problem.  When the water level drops during a water change, you can still see the water flowing out the tops of the tubes even when the water level is below the tops of the tubes.  Or at least you should still see some flowing over the tops when the water level is a bit below the tops.  How far below the tops of the tubes the water level is when water is still flowing gives you an idea of how much lift you’re getting.  I have one style of sponge filter that will still get lift with the water level over 2” below the outflow tube.  It’s the style with a fairly skinny outflow tube and no way to attach an airstone.  I should have a pic of the style.  Usually an UGF has wide tubes for more overall flow but less “focused” lift.  It won’t lift as high but still has more overall water flow through the filter if you were to measure the volume.  Pic of the one with good “lift” even if it doesn’t have a high flow rate.

32B4A224-85F9-4B5E-BE0A-F9558C6F93AC.jpeg

Sorry, this may be a different subject @Odd Duck, but have you seen your member interview ?