Daisy Blue Ricefish

Jimmy

Shouldn’t daisy rice fish be pretty easy to breed? I have what i think is 2 males and 5 females in a 20 long with multiple spawning mops and guppy grass. I haven’t attempted to pull eggs but I know they are laying. Are they known fry or egg eaters? Is it my best option to remove parents or eggs?

B5D909AD-8A49-4F54-82B9-70147817036D.jpeg

I’ve never kept Daisy’s rice fish, but I’ve read Medaka will take out fry while ignoring eggs. I was hoping to just colony breed Medaka, but I don’t think I have enough cover for them to hide out in. It looks like you have a good amount of guppy grass for fry to hide in, so I’m surprised you’re not finding babies.

Do you have anything else in the tank that might be an egg eater?

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 11:02 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Have you tried using a spawning mop?

Yes, I have a couple in the tank. 

On 10/26/2022 at 3:09 AM, OceanTruth said:

I’ve never kept Daisy’s rice fish, but I’ve read Medaka will take out fry while ignoring eggs. I was hoping to just colony breed Medaka, but I don’t think I have enough cover for them to hide out in. It looks like you have a good amount of guppy grass for fry to hide in, so I’m surprised you’re not finding babies.

Do you have anything else in the tank that might be an egg eater?

Negative just the rice fish. I’m probably just gonna move eggs to separate tank or specimen cup.

• Like 2

On 10/26/2022 at 5:25 AM, Jimmy said:

Shouldn’t daisy rice fish be pretty easy to breed? I have what i think is 2 males and 5 females in a 20 long with multiple spawning mops and guppy grass. I haven’t attempted to pull eggs but I know they are laying. Are they known fry or egg eaters? Is it my best option to remove parents or eggs?

B5D909AD-8A49-4F54-82B9-70147817036D.jpeg

super weird. i really wouldnt expect rice fish to eat their eggs or their fry, i thought they where pretty peaceful community fish.

But because your aim is to breed them i would consider separating the baby's from the adults, but remove the eggs not the adults.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have kept them in tanks inside, and tubs outside. They reliably breed for me in the tubs outside, once the water lettuce and hyacinth with their huge root systems really take off, along with all the gunk and algae and moss also, but I've never seen fry in the indoor tanks. The adults just eat them up. 

On 10/26/2022 at 8:58 AM, TOtrees said:

I have kept them in tanks inside, and tubs outside. They reliably breed for me in the tubs outside, once the water lettuce and hyacinth with their huge root systems really take off, along with all the gunk and algae and moss also, but I've never seen fry in the indoor tanks. The adults just eat them up. 

What size is your outdoor tub vs your indoor tank? 

@Jimmy pure speculation here, as I don't have 1st hand knowledge, but what I'm thinking is that while a 20L is plenty big for rice fish to live in, it's not so large that they couldn't patrol the whole thing regularly. They'd be likely to find the fry pretty easily... 

Edited by Anjum
Typo
  • Like 2

Just spitballing, but is your aquarium heated? I know Daisys prefer a warmer temp than Medakas, and it'd be pretty normal for breeding activity to slow down in cooler months. If the volume of eggs and fry are decreased you might be more susceptible to predation. 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 1:21 PM, Anjum said:

Indoor they were in a bristlenose grow out tank that is 18" x 24", bare bottom with a ton of floating hornwort and duckweed. The water is around 12" deep, so just a bit over 20 gallons. I saw females with eggs all the time, but never any babies, despite the really thick hornwort. Indoors they didn't have a heater and the tank ran around high 60s most of the time (bottom shelf of basement rack). 

The outdoor tubs were around 50 gallons, with more like 45 gallons of water. They are quite a bit taller, at maybe 24" depth. They weren't heated. Fish went in around mid June. Around a month after they went in, I started seeing fry. They grew fast. In one tub I had a mff trio, and in another I had a dozen mixed; neither did better than the other. I was feeding daily while the fry were small, to keep the fry fed and the adults satiated also. The tubs each had a hydro III sponge, but the sunlight really powered the plant growth and nitrates stayed low all summer (never tested but I actually had to add liquid fert to keep the color on the floating plants, so I'm reasonably confident that nitrates were close to zero despite no water changes). 

Then I threw all that success away by leaving them out too long. 😭 I didn't realize how different daisy's are from medaka, and when temps dropped in early Sept I lost not only the babies but all the adults. So disappointed in myself. 

• Sad 1

On 10/26/2022 at 10:21 AM, Anjum said:

@Jimmy pure speculation here, as I don't have 1st hand knowledge, but what I'm thinking is that while a 20L is plenty big for rice fish to live in, it's not so large that they couldn't patrol the whole thing regularly. They'd be likely to find the fry pretty easily... 

definitely a consideration 

• Like 1

On 10/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, TOtrees said:

Indoor they were in a bristlenose grow out tank that is 18" x 24", bare bottom with a ton of floating hornwort and duckweed. The water is around 12" deep, so just a bit over 20 gallons. I saw females with eggs all the time, but never any babies, despite the really thick hornwort. Indoors they didn't have a heater and the tank ran around high 60s most of the time (bottom shelf of basement rack). 

The outdoor tubs were around 50 gallons, with more like 45 gallons of water. They are quite a bit taller, at maybe 24" depth. They weren't heated. Fish went in around mid June. Around a month after they went in, I started seeing fry. They grew fast. In one tub I had a mff trio, and in another I had a dozen mixed; neither did better than the other. I was feeding daily while the fry were small, to keep the fry fed and the adults satiated also. The tubs each had a hydro III sponge, but the sunlight really powered the plant growth and nitrates stayed low all summer (never tested but I actually had to add liquid fert to keep the color on the floating plants, so I'm reasonably confident that nitrates were close to zero despite no water changes). 

Then I threw all that success away by leaving them out too long. 😭 I didn't realize how different daisy's are from medaka, and when temps dropped in early Sept I lost not only the babies but all the adults. So disappointed in myself. 

Oh man, that's too bad! Thank you for all that info though. I'm hoping to get medaka soon (if the co-op still has them) for my 20L & then do an outdoor tub next year.

• Love 1

On 10/26/2022 at 11:28 AM, TOtrees said:

Interesting. The eggs have certainly slowed down in the last week or two. It’s in a heated room but I’m letting it seasonally swing, middle rack is 72+ currently.

• Like 1