Scarlet Badis not eating

Corbidorbidoodle

I have a 6 gallon cube, heavily planted, with five Luminatus Rainbows and a Scarlet Badis.

I've only had them for a few days and he seems fine for the most part. I've been feeding them, mostly smashed up Vibra Bites, but the last couple of days I've been feeding them baby brine shrimp. The Rainbows are all about the brine shrimp, but the Badis just sort of glass surfs and ignores them as far as I can tell.

I did see him pick at the fallen Vibra Bites a little bit. And yesterday I'm pretty sure I saw him eat a couple of brine shrimp at least. But I figured he'd go crazy for them.

Is this normal for a Badis? I have a similar tank with a Tiger Badis. And it's not like he goes absolutely nuts for the shrimp, but he definitely consistently hunts them.

I often get a little bit worried when I see fish glass surfing. 

Edited by Corbidorbidoodle

Also, The first couple of days he hung around the bottom of the tank lurking and whatnot. Now he pretty much sticks to the top of this pile of rocks, which seems wrong for him.

I'll attach a picture. You can see him hanging out at the top and you can even see the brine shrimp in the water.

PXL_20221020_154027863.jpg

@Guppysnail is the go to Badis info source? Excellent.

They're super neat little fish. I've seen them around but haven't tried them yet. They've got a good chance at being my favorite if they're not too tough to keep alive.

• Thanks 1

My scarlet badis will not eat commercial food. They pick at live bbs only as it it near substrate. Grindal worms are their thing and baby scuds. They eat them out of substrate and actually nose through the substrate. Everyone I spoke to before getting them said the same. I have a guy I got well established grindal colonies from. Message me if you want the name so you can feed soon. In my signature is my journal of them showing feeding behavior.  

On 10/20/2022 at 6:11 PM, Guppysnail said:

My scarlet badis will not eat commercial food. They pick at live bbs only as it it near substrate. Grindal worms are their thing and baby scuds. They eat them out of substrate and actually nose through the substrate. Everyone I spoke to before getting them said the same. I have a guy I got well established grindal colonies from. Message me if you want the name so you can feed soon. In my signature is my journal of them showing feeding behavior.  

I hope you don’t mind it when I tag you to give other members advice on stuff I know nothing on?

• Like 1