Nitrites without ammonia.

Sultrysamurai

Hello, me again. I wanted to ask for some advice. The past 2 days I’ve tested the water and came with 0 ammonia and .25 nitrites.

To remove the nitrites should I add more ammonia? 
I did a water change to help lower the PH and diminish the nitrites but neither of these things happened with a water change.

I am trying to hold it together as this has been a tuff ride( per my previous post, all 10 of my shrimp did die. ) 

As of now 10gallon with live plants

0 ammonia

7.8 PH

nitrites .25ppm

Thank you. 

with a PH so high should I start over?

Do you have any other animals in the tank? If not, you can leave it be. The bacteria are converting the ammonia to nitrite. Now a different bacteria has to proliferate to turn the nitrite to nitrate. I believe that bacteria grows more slowly, so you just have to give it time. However if there are animals in there, you'll want to get that nitrite down. Water change or I'm not sure if the products like prime detox nitrite or just ammonia? Also the plants will take it up. What kind of plants do you have in there? 

As far as pH goes, what's your pH out of the tap? Botanicals like wood or catappa leaves will slowly lower pH over time. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2022 at 7:31 PM, Sultrysamurai said:

Hello, me again. I wanted to ask for some advice. The past 2 days I’ve tested the water and came with 0 ammonia and .25 nitrites.

To remove the nitrites should I add more ammonia? 
I did a water change to help lower the PH and diminish the nitrites but neither of these things happened with a water change.

I am trying to hold it together as this has been a tuff ride( per my previous post, all 10 of my shrimp did die. ) 

As of now 10gallon with live plants. 

0 ammonia

7.8 PH

nitrites .25ppm

Thank you. 

with a PH so high should I start over?

Try adding Indian Almond leaves for the pH, and maybe add some more plants or do a larger water change.

Good Luck!!

On 10/15/2022 at 7:57 PM, Anjum said:

Do you have any other animals in the tank? If not, you can leave it be. The bacteria are converting the ammonia to nitrite. Now a different bacteria has to proliferate to turn the nitrite to nitrate. I believe that bacteria grows more slowly, so you just have to give it time. However if there are animals in there, you'll want to get that nitrite down. Water change or I'm not sure if the products like prime detox nitrite or just ammonia? Also the plants will take it up. What kind of plants do you have in there? 

As far as pH goes, what's your pH out of the tap? Botanicals like wood or catappa leaves will slowly lower pH over time. 

Seems that we replied at the same time 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’d just leave it. Like others have said, your tank has worked through the ammonia and it looks like it’s almost done working through the nitrite. You’re so close! Are you getting any nitrates when you test for them? For me, I wouldn’t worry about the pH. I wish my pH was higher but I’m not gonna do a bunch of stuff to my tanks to chase numbers that my fish obviously don’t need. They’re all healthy and breeding and doing well. I’d rather focus on consistency than chasing parameters

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 10:57 AM, Anjum said:

Also the plants will take it up. What kind of plants do you have in there? 

I have Java moss, have ferns, Lilly’s, banana plants, sword plant and 4  different Anubis.

the damn PH is going to be the death of me, comes out of the tap at just over 8. I’ve had wood/acorns and Catappa leaves in there for a month( the water is quite brown) and that PH will not budge. I’ve done 2 water changes with bottled water instead of tap and still barely get it 7.4. 

no other fish sadly. 

On 10/15/2022 at 11:02 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Are you getting any nitrates when you test for them? For me, I wouldn’t worry about the pH. I wish my pH was higher

I thought the high PH is what killed off my shrimps. I got nitrates last week, I haven’t checked this week. 

Why are you trying so hard to lower your pH? Is there a fish or something you want to keep that “requires” low pH? 

I made the decision early on in my hobby to work with fish that do well in my water. I couldn’t stand trying to alter water and then keep it there. I’d rather just have fish that have a good chance of thriving in my tap water. 

On 10/15/2022 at 11:17 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Why are you trying so hard to lower your pH? Is there a fish or something you want to keep that “requires” low pH? 

I made the decision early on in my hobby to work with fish that do well in my water. I couldn’t stand trying to alter water and then keep it there. I’d rather just have fish that have a good chance of thriving in my tap water. 

I wanted the shrimp, a betta fish and maybe a few Tetras. 

While I’m not there to get my hands on your tank and test personally, I believe your tank not being cycled, and definitely not seasoned is what was detrimental to your Amanos. 

It sounds like your tank is almost done cycling. Once cycled I’d personally add the tetras as they’re usually hardy. Shrimp would potentially be the last thing to add as they’re sensitive. You want your tank to be established before adding shrimp. Also, bettas are hit and miss with shrimp. Some go on a shrimp murder spree, others could care less. 

On 10/15/2022 at 11:23 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

While I’m not there to get my hands on your tank and test personally, I believe your tank not being cycled, and definitely not seasoned is what was detrimental to your Amanos. 

Yea, I really thought it was cycled. I left it running alone for so long I think i am actually past 2 months now. Super frustrating. 
Fish friends are not a novice hobby.

Thank you for all your advice!

We all started somewhere! I got lucky with my first tank in that I did a lot of research and was able to do a fish in cycle pretty seamlessly. 

Everything is foreign in the beginning and until you’ve seen it it’s all confusing! Just trying to give my 2 cents to help you achieve a successful tank that you enjoy. That’s what it’s all about. 

• Thanks 1

What type of shrimp are you looking to get?  I keep cherry and orange eye blue tigers at 7.8 just fine.  Crystals would need lower ph but if you are happy with cherries you should be fine.  

as others have said, just give your cycle time on the nitrites.  The nitrite eating bacteria just need more time to multiply.

Edited by _Eric_
Typo
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 2:03 PM, _Eric_ said:

What type of shrimp are you looking to get?  I keep cherry and orange eye blue tigers at 7.8 just fine.  Crystals would need lower ph but if you are happy with cherries you should be fine.  

as others have said, just give your cycle time on the nitrites.  The nitrite eating bacteria just need more time to multiply.

I like any shrimp. I got Amano because I was told they eat algae and I have a ton of diatom algae I wanted gone. I’m bummed I killed all 10 of my Amano’s. 

I have amanos in another tank and they are doing fine at 7.8 ph.  I wouldn’t worry about chasing a ph.  Just get the tank cycled and drip acclimate the amanos and they should do fine.  Ghost shrimp are fun and cheap if you want to start there…

• Thanks 1