Carnivorous plants in the wild

Patrick_G

I always enjoy finding carnivores in the wild. 

These are from a swamp in a provincial part about 3+ hours north of Toronto. I love that there are 2 separate carnivorous plants and an orchid all in one pic/on one log. 

The red is a pitcher, there is sundew nestled at the base of the pitcher, and the purple is the orchid (rose pogonia). 

image.png.d377a629271d32801afa3b3ba0006b21.png

image.png.7f043497597601fc94bf186db5e80b9a.png image.png.f1542e4225c444692783a3918774adbf.png

• Like 2
  • Love 2

@Patrick_G you're a PNW local, correct? Ever seen any of our local carnivorous plants? I used to live in Skagit county & there was a tiny lake in the foothills of the mountains that had tons, couple different varieties (sorry, don't remember exactly which ones). I've heard of a population somewhere in the foothills around the Duvall/Carnation area too. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 5:24 PM, Anjum said:

@Patrick_G you're a PNW local, correct? Ever seen any of our local carnivorous plants? I used to live in Skagit county & there was a tiny lake in the foothills of the mountains that had tons, couple different varieties (sorry, don't remember exactly which ones). I've heard of a population somewhere in the foothills around the Duvall/Carnation area too. 

I didn’t know that, wow super interesting! I might have to do some research, it would be fun to see some local CPs. 
I have heard there are some endemic to the Mt Shasta area in southern OR/northern CA. 

• Like 1

On 9/29/2022 at 7:49 PM, Patrick_G said:

I have heard there are some endemic to the Mt Shasta area in southern OR/northern CA.

Central-Southern Oregon and northern California are home to the enigmatic species Darlingtonia californica - the cobra lily.  Easiest spot to see them is at the Darlingtonia wayside near Florence, Oregon.  There are many other sited, buy because of very real poaching concerns, folks tend to keep those quiet.  But DM me if you are headed that way, and I can let you know if you will be near any.

• Like 2

And speaking of carnivorous plants, there are some aquatic ones you can keep in an aquarium that might eat small fish. The bladderworts are the most common, but there is also the Waterwheel (Aldrovando vesiculosa.) They aren't common in the hobby, largely because they can eat small fish, but they do exist. Pretty fascinating how quickly they can move to trap their prey. The waterwheel can close its trap in 10-20 milliseconds.

• Like 2