Ok to let cryptocoryne float for a couple weeks till can setup new tank?

MichelleN

Our corner tank had a seam split. We've torn it down and placed everything: filters, rocks, Gravel (in bags and fry boxes) plants, and fish) in a big tank in the garage while we first replace our flooring and then replace the display tank.  20220917_200753.jpg.02307b57094102733e54fe8723dd47bf.jpg Question on the cryptocorynes, should we leave them floating until we have the new tank setup (maybe a month, my husband will do all the work himself) or is it important to get the roots back into a substrate right away? 

I'm thinking of getting small hydroponic pots for the Crypts if they need to be planted asap. I hate to plant them now after just ripping them up only to replant again shortly if they can take floating. I've read a few comments on random threads (not here) that suggest the roots can fail quickly left floating.  I trust this forum more. 

20220922_121848.jpg

Edited by MichelleN
Clarification
  • Sad 1

I’ve had crypts go either way.  They can be a little unpredictable.  But most plants can float for weeks to months with no ill effect except they can get leaves growing every which direction if there’s current and they tumble a bit.  You can weight them with plant weights if you want to keep them more “organized”.  I’ve had a few crypts floating for several months ( at least 6{?} months now) in a bare bottom quarantine tank that are still doing just fine.  They just look a little wild.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it’s ok, but be aware the leaf stalks will curl back/down quite a bit, starting almost right away. So when you get to planting them, you might need to remove some of the curliest leaves to get the root crown low enough to hold the plant in place. 
Kind of like this (it’s the seed from tree of souls in Avatar) : 

image.png.ea54401342bce79115ff66cf0c5a26fc.png
But this won’t detract from health. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1