Opinions on best vaccum/siphon?

Sultrysamurai

I have brown algae in a new tank. Still no fish. Only plants. I lessened the light hours and it seems to have increased the algae. 
I am very new to water changes and the best siphons and / or vacuums to do this. There is a lot of mixed opinions online and I trust you all more. Before I make another mistake…

what is the best siphon/vac for water changes and how often should I do them for brown algae? 

Setup: 10 gallon. Sponge filter. Liveplants. Lights on for 10 hours. No fish but lots of brown algae. 

thank you! 

10 hours is still high for algae, especially if you have some kind of plant light. Turning it down likely didn't increase growth, it has just done little to stop it, and changes like that can take a week or more to see algae dying off. I'd recommend 6-8 for now, and that can go up as the plants grow or once fish are in it and there is less for the algae to eat and fish to potentially eat the algae. 

As far as siphons go I have had the same cheap syphon from PetSmart with a little hand pump to get the siphon started for about 12 years. It works fine. Maybe  a little slow as my tanks have gotten larger over the years at right around 1 g/min ish but I find it fine and it has the reach to gravel vac and a long hose on the other side to reach the bucket.
image.png.adc3c258edbe83a09751b794e3e36da3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Screenshot_2022-09-18-18-25-26-68_b5f6883d2c20a96c53babc0b4ac88108.jpg.3476b52277c55b87149cff58d313ce30.jpgI  ( as of today) have two one is a fluval had it about 10 years got given it by someone who's new tank was to tall for it to be practical.

And the one I got to today was cheap tiny extendable one which I got because quick tidies round plants are impossible with the larger one

Screenshot_2022-09-18-18-26-04-99_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Edited by Flumpweesel
Photo nonsense
  • Thanks 1

Luckily brown will usually calm down over time. I'm sorry to say you can't really water change your way out of brown algae. It is what it is, normal.

You can get some of the phosphate and nitrate out that they like but don't count on that working either. I combat it with easy plants like anubius and with fish like love to eat it. I have a bristle nose pleco and a hillstream loach. They don't get very big and they go to town on the brown stuff. I seriously doubt my little amount of plants does much. Are you going to get fish? 

The python system has been good to me over the years. I do use a this one now because my tank is so tall it's hard to get a syphon going with the super tall python. 

This might be good for that smaller tank too, it's different tubes for length and the little trigger to start the syphon is pretty cool. 

https://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Cleaner-Changer-Air-Pressing-Controller/dp/B083NRD2HJ

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Thanks 1

Thank you! Yes, I want fish however I don't think the tank has cycled yet and the ammonia is still very high. I want to get the Loaches and such that eat the algae but I don’t want them to die in the tank if the Ammonia is still high. This is brand new to me- I was the person who bought a tank filled with water and immediately put a betta fish in and called it a day. I’m trying my best to do right this second time around.  

• Like 1

I like the Python brand. Main factor for me is the quality of the rubber hose. Its flexibility and pliability (due to softer rubber) makes it a lot easier to work with, in my opinion. Unlike every other brand of siphon and aftermarket hose I’ve tried, the Python tubing stays soft even as it ages. And the various options/attachments allow you to customize to your maintenance practices/needs without having to shop for hardware parts (too much). 
As for the brown algae, i.e. diatoms… Any new tank will not yet have what we call balance. Diatoms thrive on phosphates and nitrates in the water column, and unless your tank has reached that balanced stage where there are other consumers of those resources, changing water will only  add those resources (albeit in trace amounts). I recommend you scrape the diatoms off the glass with a plastic card or scraper. They might come back again, and again, and again,  but eventually it will start to stay under control. Plus, once your tank is ready, you could add a nerite snail or a baby bristlenose pleco and they will take care of the problem for you.

Edited by TOtrees
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2022 at 11:18 AM, Sultrysamurai said:

Thank you! Yes, I want fish however I don't think the tank has cycled yet and the ammonia is still very high. I want to get the Loaches and such that eat the algae but I don’t want them to die in the tank if the Ammonia is still high. This is brand new to me- I was the person who bought a tank filled with water and immediately put a betta fish in and called it a day. I’m trying my best to do right this second time around.  

Yes, please wait until the nitrites and ammonia are gone, best way to go to be safe for the fish.

Being you have ammonia you are well on your way. Assuming you didn't put it in there 🙂

My tank I have now I did a fishless cycle feeding it fish food to cycle, it took what seemed to be forever (even to get ammonia). This one did not get brown algae for quite a while after it had cycled, they are all different. 

It now has very little brown, I think the pleco and Hillstream help the most. 

Oh, I do run UV, that should help too. 

Edited by Wrencher_Scott
  • Thanks 1