Anyone ever tried keeping a German Blue Ram with a Chill Betta?

SMiCay

Does anyone have experience keeping a German blue ram with a betta?

I know it can be a sketchy combo, but I have heard of some others doing it successfully and wanted to know if there's anyone else out there that has tried it and how did it go? I have what seems to be a pretty chill betta in a 20 hexagon tank with 5 corydoras, shrimp, and snails. Its fairly heavily planted (or working on it to be anyways). I've been really wanting to get a little german ram for so long and wondered if this was an experiment I could try. My problem is it does have a narrower and taller foot print versus a 20 long and I was wondering if that would be a bigger issue? I do have a spare QT tank that I can move the ram into to rehome later incase it doesn't work out. 

My only other option for tanks is my planted 29 gallon which has a very chill crayfish (he never bothers anybody, but does like to roam around the tank). But (long story short) I also ended up with a few green tiger barbs and even though they don't seem to bother the other few fish in there (except decimating my shrimp population... 😕 ) I'm worried they might bother the ram. I do need to get more of the tiger barbs though so their school is bigger, there's only three right now. I'm mostly worried in making sure nobody harms the crayfish in the end. But even just parameter wise I don't think a Geramn ram would do as well in here? I'm also starting to consider rehoming the barbs.. especially if they bother the celestial pearl danios I plan on adding to this tank. 

Just though I'd get some opinions/experience from anyone who's tried it. Otherwise if it seems like a really bad idea I'll just have to keep waiting another two years. (I'm not "allowed" to get any more tanks before I have to move in two years..). I also really want some dwarf pea puffers, but those are definitely going to have to wait for their species only tank in two or so years..