How to feed Apisto Agassizii fry?

TheSwissAquarist

Baby brine shrimp. Micro-worms. Vinegar Eels. Anything like that. They will also forage around for infusoria. If you don't have live foods, frozen baby brine might work.

I've never tried feeding them any kid of prepared food (flake, sera micron, golden pearls, repashy) until they are a little older and larger, but I would imagine those might work as well so long as they sink to the bottom and would fit in their mouths.

The key is to deliver the food to the bottom of the tank, close to where you see them foraging. The mother will bring them food, or lead them to food, but it's most effective if you get the food to where they tend to hang out. They don't swim up off the bottom much in that first month, so make sure the food sinks to them and is not floating too high up in the water column.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2022 at 10:57 AM, tolstoy21 said:

The key is to deliver the food to the bottom of the tank, close to where you see them foraging. The mother will bring them food, or lead them to food, but it's most effective if you get the food to where they tend to hang out. They don't swim up off the bottom much in that first month, so make sure the food sinks to them and is not floating too high up in the water column.

This is one piece of advice that I’ve implemented that’s helped me a lot with raising fry. Keep the food as close as possible to the fry. 
I’ve found sera micron will get the fry to a big enough size to take newly hatched baby brine shrimp (typically 3-5 days in my experience). I use a small measuring cap filled with tank water and a pipette to mix the sera micron together with the water. Then, I’ll disperse the solution near the fry to graze on.