How much water is necessary to keep 4 plants in a quarantine tank or tote?

Heater helps in my experience but I don’t think it’s necessary, as for your other question, it’s not so much the volume of water but rather the quality. I’ve grown many plants in 2 gallons, but you still need to make sure they have the proper nutrients/ light to grow, and although they will technically never stop trying to grow under the right conditions you might notice them slowing down at that volume once they have taken over, they really only grow based on how much space they have to put it simply… (some can grow up and over and out of tanks) hope this helps a little 

As long as they’re covered, they’ll be find for a few weeks. I accumulate plants without a tank home over weeks and months and hold them in a bucket, with just enough water to keep all leaves covered.
Less water depth over plants = more light, and that’s usually good (if like mine they’re just living off ambient light in the fish room). 
If you want them to grow, get a reasonable light over your tank, and change water occasionally. If you’re happy with them just surviving till they’re thru quarantine, just leave them be. 
what are you quarantining for? This objective aquarist has never seen a case of any fish disease coming in via plants (not saying it can’t happen), and I would only consider it for snails. Even then, quarantining for snails won’t be foolproof. If they come, they come - and you deal with it in whatever of the many ways are out there works for you. 

• Like 1

Humidity is more important than water depth. Most aquarium plants grown commercially are grown emersed, out of water, but in very high humidity. There are YouTube videos of Tropica and other commercial production greenhouses where you can see this in action. If you have an empty fish bag or two lying around, you can just put an inch or so of water in the bag, plop in the plant or plants, breathe into it and seal it tight and the plants will live fine for days/weeks in there. Just watch for mold or fungal growth. All plants love CO2 and there's more CO2 in the air than water, so growing them emersed exposes them to more CO2. If you open the bag every day or two and breathe into it to inflate it, you're pumping in more CO2 also.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 1:05 AM, CJs Aquatics said:

Heater helps in my experience but I don’t think it’s necessary, as for your other question, it’s not so much the volume of water but rather the quality. I’ve grown many plants in 2 gallons, but you still need to make sure they have the proper nutrients/ light to grow, and although they will technically never stop trying to grow under the right conditions you might notice them slowing down at that volume once they have taken over, they really only grow based on how much space they have to put it simply… (some can grow up and over and out of tanks) hope this helps a little 

Thank you, CJs, appreciate the information and have a nice weekend. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 6:31 AM, gardenman said:

Humidity is more important than water depth. Most aquarium plants grown commercially are grown emersed, out of water, but in very high humidity. There are YouTube videos of Tropica and other commercial production greenhouses where you can see this in action. If you have an empty fish bag or two lying around, you can just put an inch or so of water in the bag, plop in the plant or plants, breathe into it and seal it tight and the plants will live fine for days/weeks in there. Just watch for mold or fungal growth. All plants love CO2 and there's more CO2 in the air than water, so growing them emersed exposes them to more CO2. If you open the bag every day or two and breathe into it to inflate it, you're pumping in more CO2 also.

Gardenman, would you mind taking a look at some pics I posted under My new Water Sprite doesn't look good. Does it look like fungal growth or mold to you? 

On 9/3/2022 at 5:28 AM, TOtrees said:

As long as they’re covered, they’ll be find for a few weeks. I accumulate plants without a tank home over weeks and months and hold them in a bucket, with just enough water to keep all leaves covered.
Less water depth over plants = more light, and that’s usually good (if like mine they’re just living off ambient light in the fish room). 
If you want them to grow, get a reasonable light over your tank, and change water occasionally. If you’re happy with them just surviving till they’re thru quarantine, just leave them be. 
what are you quarantining for? This objective aquarist has never seen a case of any fish disease coming in via plants (not saying it can’t happen), and I would only consider it for snails. Even then, quarantining for snails won’t be foolproof. If they come, they come - and you deal with it in whatever of the many ways are out there works for you. 

Following videos that mention the importance of disinfecting plants and quarantine procedures to avoid snails and things like planaria that can kill fish. I used alum dip for 4 hours and it was tested that it kills most snails and eggs in that length of time except for one type of snail. It's on You Tube. 

Thank you for all the good information  TOtrees, appreciate your time and question. Have a nice holiday weekend.

On 9/3/2022 at 5:28 AM, TOtrees said: