Variatus platties

TomO

I’m planning on setting up a 20 gallon to intentionally breed variatus platties. How many trios should I get. Will they breed more if I use a heater. Which plants are better for the babies?

My water averages a pH of 7.4. Do they prefer hard or soft water?

Should I source them from Aquabid? My lfs sells sick fish.

I assume you want to colony breed?  I would recommend doing 2 trios. They are tropical fish and require a temp in the mid 70s. If the room they are in is kept cooler than this then they will require a heater. 7.4 is a fine ph. Really almost anything works ph wise. They prefer hard water. 

I love variatus platies' coloring, I think that's a great choice.

I do not always have a heater on my tanks that include regular platies (depends on who is in there with them--when I had bettas in there and the tank that also has neons in it, I do. If it's just livebearers, I don't), and they do breed. I haven't had them long enough to speak to longevity at room temperature (between 68 and 75 in my house) because I've only had them for about 16 months. 

For a 20 gallon I would actually start with one trio if you are planning to grow them up in that same tank. You will likely have 90 fish in 90 days and in a 20g it will take a long time for them to mature once the tank is crowded. I have some babies I know are every bit of three months old who look like they were born last month, because my tank is overstocked. Water quality is good regarding nitrites, ammonia etc. and I feed quality foods but they mature slowly. 

I have found dozens of fry hiding in a giant amazon sword, I also have corkscrew valisneria, java ferns, guppy grass and cholla wood for hiding places. I'm not sure how many fry get eaten--maybe none, maybe a few, maybe a lot, but I still have more platies than I could ever keep.