Equilibrium

JoeQ

On 9/3/2022 at 11:54 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

My aquarium stand is almost ready!  When i get it installed I'll start a journal thread and stop hijacking yours. ✌️😁

Lmao! No troubles just giving you a hard time! Can't wait for the journal! 

On 9/3/2022 at 11:40 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @JoeQ

Yes, it is certainly possible for plants to utilize the calcium and magnesium (which comprise dGH) and lower the hardness to the point where it can cause symptoms of nutrients deficiencies.  As my plant mass grows the amount of nutrients my tank contains needs to increase as well. 

Also, I continuously have to remind myself that my water parameters do not remain static but is in a constant state of flux (although slow).  For example, in the winter and spring when our local water supply gets a huge influx of rain and snow the level of dissolved nutrients in the water drops.  In the summer and fall when our weather is dry the nutrient concentration in our water increases.  Hope this helps! -Roy

It actually helps a lot, I've spent most of last year (my most advanced tank successfully kept long term) concentrating on NO3 & KH forgetting GH was an important plant nutritional measurement. 

• Like 2