Fertilizing water column with root feeders?

So I've got a 75g tank with a fluval 3.0 light and moderate bioload planted in inert gravel... 

I've got jungle val, Amazon sword, Scarlet temple, red ozelot flame sword, dwarf sag, and s. repens

All of the listed plants are heavy root feeders and thus I've got loads of root tabs in the substrate for all of them... is there benefit to me dosing easy green in the water column? Will this just cause more algae since the plants won't be using it? 

IMG20220828094453.jpg

• Like 1

Hi @asondhi

First of all there are very few 'root feeder' or water column feeders.  Most, but not all, of the plants we use in aquariums are considered 'marginals' in that they grow along the shores of rivers and lakes and have adapted so they can grow both submerged and emerged so when lake or rivers rise or fall they can survive.  Most aquatic plant nurseries grow plants emerged because they grow faster and there are no issues with parasites or algae.  The leaves of plants that are grown emerged develop a cuticle layer on the leaves to minimize loss of water through transpiration.. during this time the plant  is absorbing all of the nutrients needed for growth through it's roots with the exception of CO2.  When plants that are grown emerged are submerged under water those leaves cannot 'breathe' and they eventually die off and are replaced by leaves with no cuticle layer that can 'breathe' and absorb nutrients when submerged in water.  If your plants have gone through the transition from emerged to submerged growth they can absorb nutrients both through the roots and the leaves.

is there benefit to me dosing easy green in the water column? Will this just cause more algae since the plants won't be using it? 

When nutrients are absorbed through the leaves of a plant they become available for growth quicker than when nutrients are absorbed through the roots where they have to be transported through the stems to the leaves and growing tips.  However, nutrients in the water column can be a source of nutrients for algae growth as well.  Hope this helps! -Roy

Here are some aquarium plants growing emerged/emersed
811381995_2020-06-18GSASPlantBank(3)CroppedAdjSnSm.JPG.65f1691894774e815670baa8525dca7a.JPG

458570379_2020-07-26GSASPlantBank(1)AdjSnSmM.guyana.JPG.5691eec4e24c8f68553a82e68b69781f.JPG

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
added pics
  • Thanks 3