Equipment for Water changes

Hello everyone,

Hope everyone is having a great weekend so far. 

I'm new to the hobby and I'm currently using a gravel vac and a bucket to drain the water out of my 30 gallon fish tank for my weekly water changes. I wanted to know what equipment you experienced fish-keepers use to do your water changes?  Any water pumps you guys recommend? I heard some people use these but haven't been able to find one that has good reviews.

Thank you in advance 🙂

Edited by Tropicalfishkeeping201

On 8/27/2022 at 2:39 PM, Pepere said:

Hauling buckets of water gets old really fast in a 30 gallon and above.

https://www.amazon.com/Python-Aquarium-Maintenance-System-50-Feet/dp/B000255NXC/ref=sr_1_3?crid=27R02TJK6T5RU&keywords=python%2Baquarium%2Bvacuum&qid=1661636279&sprefix=Pytho%2Caps%2C177&sr=8-3&th=1

python water change is much easier on the fishkeeper…

It really does, I have back pain after each water change. Thank you and thank you for providing the link! 

On 8/27/2022 at 3:00 PM, face said:

i just used a siphon and bucket to get all the poo out and a drink water safe garden hose to drain and fill I'm bad for sucking up sand so at lest the bucket means it doesn't go down the drain.

Thank you!

Edited by Tropicalfishkeeping201

I've mentioned this here before, but I still use buckets, but not the typical 5-gallon buckets.  Instead I use a 2-1/2 gallon bucket that I got at one of the chain pet stores.  It has a spout , and a recess at the bottom on the opposite side, to make pouring easier, and marks on the inside in 1/2 gallon increments.  It takes twice as many trips as with a 5-gallon bucket, but so what?

• Thanks 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:00 AM, JettsPapa said:

I've mentioned this here before, but I still use buckets, but not the typical 5-gallon buckets.  Instead I use a 2-1/2 gallon bucket that I got at one of the chain pet stores.  It has a spout , and a recess at the bottom on the opposite side, to make pouring easier, and marks on the inside in 1/2 gallon increments.  It takes twice as many trips as with a 5-gallon bucket, but so what?

Thank you for sharing!

On 8/29/2022 at 10:16 AM, Flumpweesel said:

I use a gravel vac into 14l (approx 3.5 us gal) buckets or sometimes into 10l watering cans. The water always goes on the garden. Refill with the garden hose on the shower setting.

Thank you!