I went to the bathroom for one moment...

Lexi B

One time I thought I was really clever by pumping water out of a big tote in the bathtub all the way to the living room fish tank through some PVC that I had accumulated in the garage.  As soon as I fired up the pump an elbow fitting shot of and sprayed water everywhere. My GF was not happy with me. I'm not sure what I was thinking. By the time I had that monstrosity of a "short cut" set up I could have already been done with the water change. I guess I was just bored and wanted to tinker with something.....

• Haha 2

On 8/26/2022 at 12:06 AM, SimmonsSnailsNScales said:

One time I thought I was really clever by pumping water out of a big tote in the bathtub all the way to the living room fish tank through some PVC that I had accumulated in the garage.  As soon as I fired up the pump an elbow fitting shot of and sprayed water everywhere. My GF was not happy with me. I'm not sure what I was thinking. By the time I had that monstrosity of a "short cut" set up I could have already been done with the water change. I guess I was just bored and wanted to tinker with something.....

I am still trying to make water changes "fun" and safe. So far, the best solution I found on my 20G is to have an ATO, a 14G reservoir, and to perform daily small water changes, all done in about 5 minutes. The ATO takes care of what I disliked the most: carefully filling up the tank from a bucket or pitcher. Of course, at some point the reservoir needs to be replenished, but it is more easily accessible than the 20L on top of my shelf.

Edited by Cawafuoshi

On 8/26/2022 at 12:46 AM, AnimalNerd98 said:

Haha, you live and you learn! As long as the tank inhabitants are okay, no harm done… unless you have hardwood floors 😂

Also, I have that same rack! Are those 6 gallon cubes from PetCo? 

They are! Great eye

• Like 1

@Lexi B I sure hope you have tile.

On 8/25/2022 at 11:58 PM, Melkor said:

I did the opposite once, and drained more than I intended. Thankfully the hose in the tank wasn't all the way at the bottom.

SAME. 🙄  I left a hose in there, and gravity drained the water out while I was outside rinsing sand.  Poor fish had 1" to swim in, and the filter was making such an awful noise running dry.  GOOD THING I had unplugged the heater before maintenance.  (Everybody was ok, but it did cause stress - they were all panicking for sure.)

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

I've thankfully never done that but i almost had someone do it to me i was filling the tank and somone walk into the bathroom a minute later im at the door yelling to turn the water off... very exciting lol.

Edited by face
  • Haha 2