Norman's lampeye

smm333

I am wanting to get some norman's lampeye fish to add to my 20 gallon. It has shrimp, a couple mystery snails, and 6 pygmy corydoras. I watched a video on them saying they are peaceful enough for even baby shrimp which is definitely a tough box to check! I have always admired them, but thought all killis were a bit more difficult to care for. I was happy to hear these aren't. 

Does anyone have experience with norman's lampeye? If so, what do you feed them? Any tips or tricks? Any success with them breeding in your tank?

I do have Lampeyes in a 12 gal. tank and they have bred for me. They leave the fry alone, but unfortunately the CPDs in the same tank go after the fry. I have one survivor that is now going through the teenage stage, so he fends for himself. They are great little fish. Peaceful, they know when you are near the tank and come and frolic. The tank has tons of Neocaridina shrimp as well as Ramshorn and Bladder snails and it is heavily planted.

They get fed Repashy, Hikary First Bites, and Hikari Micro Pellets.

More in my Odds and Ends Journal. 🙂

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 12:21 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I do have Lampeyes in a 12 gal. tank and they have bred for me. They leave the fry alone, but unfortunately the CPDs in the same tank go after the fry. I have one survivor that is now going through the teenage stage, so he fends for himself. They are great little fish. Peaceful, they know when you are near the tank and come and frolic. The tank has tons of Neocaridina shrimp as well as Ramshorn and Bladder snails and it is heavily planted.

They get fed Repashy, Hikary First Bites, and Hikari Micro Pellets.

More in my Odds and Ends Journal. 🙂

Nice! I don't think my pygmy corydoras would bother anyone, so maybe I'll get lucky and have some baby lampeye. I feed the tank repashy community food,  so I will add the hikari foods when I pick them up. Thanks for your reply!

On 8/20/2022 at 6:44 PM, smm333 said:

Nice! I don't think my pygmy corydoras would bother anyone, so maybe I'll get lucky and have some baby lampeye. I feed the tank repashy community food,  so I will add the hikari foods when I pick them up. Thanks for your reply!

Pygmy corydoras are very peaceful, so I think they would get along fine. Plus, they are mostly on the bottom part of the tank while the Lampeyes like being closer to the surface.