Subwassertang

I currently have a 6 gallon tank full of Subwassertang. I am working on a new scape in another tank and I would love to incorporate this into the new tank. 

Currently, the 6 gallon has no flow and just a sponge filter. The tank I am going to has a canister filter so there is definitely some flow. Will it all stay together if I just leave it?

Anyone got some tips on an epic way to incorporate this into a new scape. I don’t know exactly what direction I want to go, so I am open to all suggestions. 

BFD4BDE0-E01B-412D-8B2F-351E6D7E3BD0.jpeg

Gorgeous plants! An idea - I have an 8 gallon full of java moss, so I ended up pushing it back behind an interesting piece of driftwood, using nice Wio gravel to make a foreground, and letting loose red cherry neos and least killifish. Both are breeding like crazy and it's a very entertaining tank to watch - like a tiny jungle.

@ChargerstoLA, hi. I have the back wall of my 30-gallon cube set up in susswassertang. It does a pretty good job of serving as a nursery for my cherry shrimp and scuds. You might try a wall of it if, like me, you want to plant other stuff in the rest of the tank. 😊Front and side views below to show the wall:

E5FCCF52-FB81-47B3-9790-B8B310F164DB.jpeg.68629c40be3f63f25cd6ca55bf1a0167.jpeg3F58F18B-395B-4C9A-AD63-9E6A2B211F50.jpeg.a19c75fa0fe781401da86b1a295a6aeb.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 8/16/2022 at 8:15 PM, Rebecca M said:

@ChargerstoLA, hi. I have the back wall of my 30-gallon cube set up in susswassertang. It does a pretty good job of serving as a nursery for my cherry shrimp and scuds. You might try a wall of it if, like me, you want to plant other stuff in the rest of the tank. 😊Front and side views below to show the wall:

E5FCCF52-FB81-47B3-9790-B8B310F164DB.jpeg.68629c40be3f63f25cd6ca55bf1a0167.jpeg3F58F18B-395B-4C9A-AD63-9E6A2B211F50.jpeg.a19c75fa0fe781401da86b1a295a6aeb.jpeg

How did you stick the mesh to the back wall?

Amazing tank by the way. 

Edited by ChargerstoLA

@ChargerstoLA

hey, good morning! I’ve got to get ready for a meeting, so I just copied the info below from where I answered a related question in my introductions thread. Apologies if it’s not all on point. Just reach back out if you have any other questions!
It’s not hard to keep trimmed; I just pull wads off. There’s no cutting involved. The worst thing about it is that it tries to start little colonies of itself all over the tank, and you have to pull it out. But it’s the best thing I’ve found for giving the infant shrimp shelter and for letting me keep fish like the scarlet badis, which really only want to eat live food. I
made this susswassertang wall 4 years ago, when I set this tank up. It is made of rigid black plastic canvas, like for needlepoint, then I spread wads ofsusswassertang all over it, stretched nylonhairnets over it, and sewed the hairnet to the canvas with monofilament fishing line. The canvas is attached to the aquarium glass with suction cups. I keep only small fishes; all of them can swim behind the canvas when they want; there is space at either side of it. Of course, none of the fish I keep bother the shrimp once they’re half grown. 

Here’s a picture of the supplies I used to make that susswassertang wall, plus the plants of course. E50B7127-164C-4253-AE68-529DF79653B3.jpeg.1095c11765ffa2dab46fa2cb25c59865.jpeg@ChargerstoLA

hey, good morning! I’ve got to get ready for a meeting, so I just copied the info below from where I answered a related question in my introductions thread. Apologies if it’s not all on point. Just reach back out if you have any other questions!
It’s not hard to keep trimmed; I just pull wads off. There’s no cutting involved. The worst thing about it is that it tries to start little colonies of itself all over the tank, and you have to pull it out. But it’s the best thing I’ve found for giving the infant shrimp shelter and for letting me keep fish like the scarlet badis, which really only want to eat live food. I
made this susswassertang wall 4 years ago, when I set this tank up. It is made of rigid black plastic canvas, like for needlepoint, then I spread wads ofsusswassertang all over it, stretched nylonhairnets over it, and sewed the hairnet to the canvas with monofilament fishing line. The canvas is attached to the aquarium glass with suction cups. I keep only small fishes; all of them can swim behind the canvas when they want; there is space at either side of it. Of course, none of the fish I keep bother the shrimp once they’re half grown. 

• Like 2