Substrate for discus and plants

On 8/13/2022 at 5:05 PM, Kendall’s Aquarium said:

I am setting up a 120 for discus, trying to decide what substrate to go with that would compliment the discus but all work well with plants. I used eco complete on everything I have thus far

So if you are looking to breed discus, be careful with any dark colors in the tank.  The babies look for any dark shapes thinking it's the parents, including the rim of the tank or substrate and will starve if unable to locate them.  I'm looking at placing aquasoil in media bags topped by a white or light colored sand to allow for planted tank and able to breed discus.  Let's see...

On 8/13/2022 at 4:19 PM, John J said:

o if you are looking to breed discus, be careful with any dark colors in the tank.  The babies look for any dark shapes thinking it's the parents, including the rim of the tank or substrate and will starve if unable to locate them. 

Like you...I have heard that for years.  But I have bred Discus many times in tanks with black substrate and never experienced an issue.  And I have never had a fellow hobbyist tell me that his personal discus babies got "lost" due to shadows and starved.  I know all of these supposed "rules" will generally have a basis of fact but I am starting to think this "rule" is about as valid as the old 1" of fish per gallon hooey.