Hard Black Roots

Hey everyone. I ordered my first plants from the Coop and when i received them today the roots on my Java Fern and my JF Windleov were black in color and hard. The Anubias Gold Coin was the exact opposite. I currently have all 3 soaking in some tank temp water seeing if the roots on the JF's will soften. I've never purchased these plants before, is this normal or did the heat affect the plants? Thanks in advance. 

On 8/9/2022 at 5:58 PM, John Zoidberg said:

Hey everyone. I ordered my first plants from the Coop and when i received them today the roots on my Java Fern and my JF Windleov were black in color and hard. The Anubias Gold Coin was the exact opposite. I currently have all 3 soaking in some tank temp water seeing if the roots on the JF's will soften. I've never purchased these plants before, is this normal or did the heat affect the plants? Thanks in advance. 

Did they look like this? If so, then it’s normal. Anubias rhizomes are bright green, Java fern tends to be dark brown/black

73FC0AF9-12FC-473D-B802-D59EBB8C213A.jpeg

F5F1086F-F267-43FA-ACC8-A7F53DB20811.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:09 PM, John Zoidberg said:

Yeah guess I forgot its not 1994 and i could include pictures. Here's what they look like. I've had them soaking for 3 hours and the roots are still pretty hard. 

image.png.d136de595970cec9e1a56170f2146842.png

image.png

Yep , perfectly normal! Look pretty healthy! That “hard” portion is the rhizomes. Just be careful to keep them above the substrate. I just glue mine to rocks and set them on top of the substrate, the roots will find their way down.

Edited by FLFishChik
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 8:42 PM, FLFishChik said:

Yep , perfectly normal! Look pretty healthy! That “hard” portion is the rhizomes. Just be careful to keep them above the substrate. I just glue mine to rocks and set them on top of the substrate, the roots will find their way down.

Thanks for the reassurance. i was going to tie them to lava rock but super glue was way easier. heres hoping they like their new home. Thanks again.

• Like 2