Algae Growth Cycle

Damo.Lo

Hey 

I know this has been asked exhaustively spoken about but my issue is wording to try and research it my self.

the tank is still in its infancy and I have a basic understanding of algae comes and goes as the balance is made in the tank.

but more curiosity then worry, the decorations and gravel(white) is turning into a brown/orange/copper colour. Will this go away and then back to its natural colour once balance is made or just come to terms with my new substrate colour? 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The brown you are getting is diatoms. There is a dusty kind and a filamentous kind. I tend to get the filamentous types in my fresh setups. In my experience, it does fade away after some time. Snails love it so I usually just toss in a bunch of 'pest' snails into my new tanks to speed up the process but they are not required to make it go away.

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2022 at 7:39 AM, Jack.of.all.aquariums said:

The brown you are getting is diatoms. There is a dusty kind and a filamentous kind. I tend to get the filamentous types in my fresh setups. In my experience, it does fade away after some time. Snails love it so I usually just toss in a bunch of 'pest' snails into my new tanks to speed up the process but they are not required to make it go away.

Thank you very much, I was going to get snails before this came up but wanted abit more bacteria to grow but now I think the tanks ready haha, now another rabbit hole of research to go down