5.5 gal Quarantine tank

Chick-In-Of-TheSea

I have a tank stand that accommodates a 10 gallon on the top shelf and a 5.5 gallon on the lower shelf.  Would it be feasible to use a 5.5 for quarantine?  Anyone tried it?  Up to this point I've been using a tote, but I have to take the fish out to examine them. I cannot see progression of disease through the plastic. I realize dosing would have to be precise, maybe use a digital scale?

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

I don’t see why not. I use a tub but it is always set you has heathy bacteria and plants no snails or inverts because if I have to treat there is a possibility of them not making it. I treat all incoming fish with salt so I like hard plants I can’t kill Amazon swords and such. I also keep 2 or 3 male guppies gosh I have  of the 100’s I have 2or 3 can go in just to keep everything going. I know some people like bare qt tanks but I prefer to treat with salt observe and get them ready to move on to a similar tank. I see no reason a 5.5 would not work. If you choose to keep it bare I would run a filter at all times and put a pinch of food in just a little to keep a balanced system. 

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1

Yes. I have a 10 gallon I use as a hospital tank that I have placed a divider in and the fish have been perfectly fine with the arrangement.
For dosing medications, you either do the math and use a very small oral medication syringe (for liquids like ICHX)or you can dump the medications in a predetermined amount of water, do the math and draw out what you need. You can put the “10gallon treatment” packet of maracyn in 50 mL of water. Then 5mL of that water treats one gallon so 5 gallons would get 25 mL of the mix. Store it in the fridge. 
Go for it! 

• Thanks 1

On 7/28/2022 at 12:18 AM, Brandon p said:

There is nothing like having white powder on a digital scale and there is a knock on the door.

LOL!  The thought did cross my mind when I thought about digital scale and separating out maracyn.  If there's a mirror, a razor blade, and a dollar bill, go the other direction!*  🤣

*note: I only know this from movies! (ie: pulp fiction, scarface, etc) - Just sayin!

• Haha 1

On 7/28/2022 at 9:50 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

My next question is, for water changes on a low level tank, would the siphon that has the blue bulb work to get that going or no?  I wouldn't have the gravity on my side.

It might work but I think you would more likely just be pumping the water with the bulb. I haven’t don’t this but I know some in here posted about using one of the very small power head to do it. In a 5.5g tank it won’t take many pumps of the bulb to get some water out. I not have my low tank as bigger tanks and use a pump, but before I would use a solo cup the only issue was if you want to vacuum it and it’s not bare bottom

On 7/28/2022 at 11:41 AM, Brandon p said:

It might work but I think you would more likely just be pumping the water with the bulb. I haven’t don’t this but I know some in here posted about using one of the very small power head to do it. In a 5.5g tank it won’t take many pumps of the bulb to get some water out. I not have my low tank as bigger tanks and use a pump, but before I would use a solo cup the only issue was if you want to vacuum it and it’s not bare bottom

Hygger Ultra Quiet 53GPH (200L/H, 3W) Submersible Mini Water Pump Comes with 2 Nozzles, for Aquariums, Fish Tank, Fountain, Max Lift Height 1.7ft ,120V/60HZ, Power Cord 6ft https://a.co/d/1Hxz7z4

and co-op has a great power head. I have two and love them but this was the smallest pump I could d in 2 mins of looking 

• Thanks 1