Rainbowfish Death

Cinnebuns

As some of you know I just got some forktail blue-eyed rainbowfish yesterday. This evening I checked the spawning mops for cory eggs and found a rainbowfish inside one dead. I kinda suspect maybe it went in and couldn't find its way out?  Idk. Just a guess. I'm curious if this might be an issue again I should look out for or look to change something. 

Edited by Cinnebuns

Sounds like a question for Dean! Is the mop you have short? longer strands?  Have you tried to make one of his newer designs out of pool noodle foam material that is rigid and easier for the fish to swim through?

It might just be a need to make the strands shorter, 3-4" length, or try out the design Dean recently showed off.

On 7/24/2022 at 1:47 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sounds like a question for Dean! Is the mop you have short? longer strands?  Have you tried to make one of his newer designs out of pool noodle foam material that is rigid and easier for the fish to swim through?

It might just be a need to make the strands shorter, 3-4" length, or try out the design Dean recently showed off.

It's longer. I made it myself out of yarn. You can see them in this pic. 

20220720_201130.jpg

They have worked amazingly for the cories but I'm hoping they aren't now an issue for the rainbows. 

On 7/24/2022 at 3:11 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah, the rainbows might want ones that are floating?

I might just be mixing up rainbow and rice fish.

To clarify, I'm not intending the mops used for the rainbows but for the cories. They have been in there for many months before the rainbows. 

• Like 1

I don't know anything about rainbows, however when my corys spawn the rest of the tank goes on a binge. But they will hunt those eggs out everywhere if the rainbow was doing that and got tangled or trapped then it has a higher likelihood of happening again. 

I you could thin out the mop so it's not so dense for them to work their way out of. But it then won't keep the eggs as safe.