Seasoned planted tank as Quarantine/med trio tank?

Mike Wilson

Yes.  QT in the sense of "exclude from other fish" absolutely.  You're containing the illness to that tank, it's own equipment and tools.  You'd want to monitor and observe and use meds as you normally would.  The only real issue is salt with the plants.  Some hold up to this, some don't.

Just be aware  that you can't disinfect this tank if you get something in there that doesn't get cleared with the meds.If something kills the fish how will you be sure it's not lurking in there waiting for a new host. 

Some meds will damage you beneficial bacteria (antibiotics are not that selective) and others can have issues for plants (salts). So it might not work out on the long run but to use because it's there empty and you have new fish yes go for it.

• Like 1

I use the trio on planted tanks and haven't had any issues. However, if I'm in need of a hospital I set up with fake plants and resin decorations on a bare bottom. Generally you have to change the water frequently anyway so the nitrogen cycle isn't as important. But you can add seasoned media to help.

• Like 1