How many endlers in a 15 gallons?

Karen B.

Greetings!

I fell in love with Endlers. How many can I have in a 15 gallons if I do a species only planted tank with sponge filter and HOB filter? Only males, no females.

If I go the route endlers + panda corydoras, would it be feasible in a 15 gallons? If yes, how many of each?

Thank you!

Edited by Karen B.
  • Like 1

2 males and 4 females. 

Pandas don't get huge but will fill up that size tank quick, not sure I would do less than a 20 long with a group. 

I would go with pygmys, habrosus, or hastatus, you could have over 10 of them and they would do great in a tank that size. 

Make sure you get a type the LFS wants, go with Japanese Blues or Silvers something that pops or something a little rarer then black bars are great but kind of a dime a dozen. Just my personal opinion. 

• Like 1

Since it's a smaller tank I think the number will depend on how often you want to do water changes. You could breed them in there and have it very full like they do at the stores, with big weekly water changes, or you could have around 10 males-only and keep it at that. I think you could do up to 10 endlers male-only with a group of pandas if you did weekly water changes, but I would agree that pygmy corys would be better suited for that size tank. Can't wait to see what you decide to do! 

• Like 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:03 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

2 males and 4 females. 

Pandas don't get huge but will fill up that size tank quick, not sure I would do less than a 20 long with a group. 

I would go with pygmys, habrosus, or hastatus, you could have over 10 of them and they would do great in a tank that size. 

Make sure you get a type the LFS wants, go with Japanese Blues or Silvers something that pops or something a little rarer then black bars are great but kind of a dime a dozen. Just my personal opinion. 

I forgot to say, males only. I do not wish to breed them.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:14 PM, Hannah Parker said:

Since it's a smaller tank I think the number will depend on how often you want to do water changes. You could breed them in there and have it very full like they do at the stores, with big weekly water changes, or you could have around 10 males-only and keep it at that. I think you could do up to 10 endlers male-only with a group of pandas if you did weekly water changes, but I would agree that pygmy corys would be better suited for that size tank. Can't wait to see what you decide to do! 

I forgot to say - male only for sure!!! 

• Like 1

Yeah a male tank I would say 7-10. They can be pretty aggressive with each other, as they have shorter tails they tend to swim faster then their moscow and fancy guppy relatives. I would also try to get distinct color patterns and differences as they tend to naturally act more aggressively toward those that look more like them. Should be a very fun tank. 

Having a dither would be good. You could have a small rasbora or tetra as a dither maybe 5-7 as well if you go for the 7 Endlers instead of maxing out at 10. 

Since you like the panda colors Hastatus are great if you can find them. That tail pattern is great and they get a really nice iridescent shimmer on their sides. They have a pretty low bioload so 10-12 would be no trouble. 

Agree with @Hannah ParkerFewer fish, more plants and higher filtration the lazier you can be down the road in terms of water changes. The more you want to get your hands wet with maintenance the more you can push things. However, in a water volume of 15 g it may push back as these smaller tanks are harder to balance. 

coryhastatus.jpeg.249260b0a7bba2810814b1a14bbf41b2.jpeg

• Love 1

On 7/22/2022 at 2:31 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Since you like the panda colors Hastatus are great if you can find them. That tail pattern is great and they get a really nice iridescent shimmer on their sides. They have a pretty low bioload so 10-12 would be no trouble.  

coryhastatus.jpeg.249260b0a7bba2810814b1a14bbf41b2.jpeg

That is a beautiful fish. I only ever had hasbrosus pygmies, but I love the way these guys look and they are definitely on my list now!!