Tips for upgrading my 55 to 75 safely

Nate710

I have been running a 55 gallon for about a year. I just purchased a 75 gal. as an upgrade. I don’t have room for both tanks and want to move everything over to the new tank. I run a HOB and sponge filter that I would be able to put on the new tank immediately. I would be putting all my current drift wood into the new tank.Any tips for safely getting my fish in the new tank?

8509CF9A-8CCB-47ED-AE0E-63CE70DE4B5D.jpeg.733ca5c5ec7bc3b968459586a708445b.jpeg

I think you're going to need a few buckets or plastic totes and a big chunk of time. Move the plants and wood out to one or 2 tubs of tank water, move the fish to another of tank water with the sponge filter running in it if you can. put the HOB media in one of the non-fish buckets. Drain all the water you can and scoop out the gravel, then move the tank. Put the new tank in place and get it all set back up, then put the fish in.

I recently upgraded from a 29G to a 75G.  I was fortunate that I could keep both tanks running for a couple of weeks while I slowly moved fish over to the new tank.  If you have to take down the 55 to install the 75, I would suggest getting as big of a container as possible (like a big storage bin), fill it with tank water, put your sponge filter in it (and a heater too if you have one), and place all the fish in there. If you have extra wood/decorations, they can go in the container to provide some shelter for stressed fish.  You can also store your plants in that container with the fish until you are ready for them in your 75G.

I think the key is to block off enough time to get the new tank set up and scaped ina single day. This way your fish don't spend too much time in the container.

Once the fish are in the new tank, just do daily water changes until you have no ammonia or nitrite.

I think the higher water volume is helpful in this case - dilution is the solution. I would save at least 50% of your water in the existing tank which along with the filters, decor and substrate should provide enough beneficial bacteria to make it go well. 

The water you save you can use in a 27 - 40 g storage container/tote and put your fish and filters in there and some of your decor items and plants to help the fish feel a little less stressed. Run the filters in there while you are doing all the work on switching out the tanks. Put the gravel in 5 g buckets. 

I would use a small dust pan with the rubber bit on the end to help with moving the substrate.