Mystery zombie betta condition

Joy The Unlucky

Hi, to all 💮

I'm not kidding Mr Snake looked like a zombie from the moment I saw him in the LFS and he is not getting any better, not responding to antibiotics... Last Saturday he failed to commit suicide 😒 which made his condition even worse...

It's pointless to add, but since all of u will insist: 

NH⁴ 0 

NO³ 10

NO ² 0

pH 8 (stable, we have shirt waters in my country)

KH 200

GH 150

26° (stable)

He is not my first betta, his home is a Walstad 20 litres tank. 

Tank mates are present since this April: a healthy colony of cherry shrimps and a Mexican dwarf crayfish + some pest snails (under control). 

Me Snake's story is very long... He was on a "sale" as a "bundle" with some sh**ty rocks, a fake plant in a 1-litre bowl. The seller knew he was sick so tried to sell him before it was too late 😔. I was very touched by this miserable betta and felt like treating his pop eye and velvet was a piece of cake... And bought him, it was last December... Ow, how wrong I was 🤦‍♀️... Apparently, he had no velvet and his pop eye is much more complex than a generic infection. (Picture 1, a few days after I got him)20211216_113254.jpg.577fbe4f7905d7962995b152e8007edc.jpg

The first thing I did was give him salt baths and clean warm water, which did little difference. Then I added Paraguard as an antibacterial treatment, which did no effect as well. Something odd started happening to him, he started losing scale... I googled pop eye, and scale loss which lead me to think he has velvet, and some severe infection and without antibiotics, he will not make it. Then I panicked, I had no access to antibiotics so I used very weak human eye drops on him - what actually made him better. He started swimming around, going excited during feeding time and so on. Tho his discolouration and fin rot continued. So I order Kanaplex on amazon. 

20211229_160156.jpg.12be5e4c68cbd73c752216e8b26ae8e2.jpg

This is a nice macro on him from the times when he got sort of better, but his back looks bald 🤷‍♀️. I think this picture was taken after the Kanaplex treatment. 

This year, in March he was moved to his new home even tho his eye never got any better and his fins slowly deteriorated. 

20220322_080644.jpg.93322f3d8cd8d68704b153d7f242c02f.jpg

(A picture from the times when he was active and almost seems healthy)

He has been through 3 sessions of Kanaplex by feeding, with no changes. 

Two months ago Metroplex arrived and I tried a mix between Kanaplex and Metroplex, cuz in my other tank another betta died of columnaris. And Snake became lethargic. So I had a theory that maybe Mr Snake has columnaris and I accidentally contaminated the second tank via plant sharing 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️...  So Mr Snake here was in a hospital tank, getting his treatment - 0 effects, but he seemed ok... And I was like, "ok, can't give him more than 3 rounds of antibiotics, time to send him home". I just did a water change, filling the water up high, like nothing special I never even saw Snake attempting to jump. 

BUT this Saturday he did it - jumped out all the way to the floor... Braking his good eye on landing... The eye felled with blood, a painful sigh... It bleed out the same day, and magically the other bloated eye shrunk half its size 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️. He ate since the jump, but he is lethargic, seems asleep most of the time, and he got almost blind. 

I gave him a 1-minute salt bath yesterday, which made his ex-good eye normal-sized. But with time this left eye swel up again. 

I just don't know what to do 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ can't give him more antibiotics - he just finished a session. Soul I let him be 🤷‍♀️, is this better than interfering?

20220718_151010.jpg.53dc576cb9bbc4243b2f58522bf3a04e.jpg

This is him now, with the left eye, the ex-good eye...

Maybe 🤔 try something with tannins in it, my betta got a torn fin arm from our filter so we put a filter sock on the intake afterwards we used tannin leafs (almond leafs) and tannin leaf extract and gave him  daphnia treats since then his fin is growing back 

the tannins are a natural antiseptic 

I hope that helps a little sorry for what your going through