DIY Media Bag

Nia

I've heard of people using pantyhose as a diy media bag for their tanks. Most of them only mention the nylon component being safe in your tank, but not spandex. Does anyone know if spandex is safe? 

Not sure about spandex. However media bags come in a lot of sizes, mesh hole sizes, and options for plastic zippers, for reasonable prices. Or go to a fabric and or hobby store and pick up a roll of nylon netting for dirt cheap to make your own.

• Like 1

I used some old tights (pantyhose) to make some weights for plastic plants had them in the tank for years. I never even thought to see what they were made off , they aren't going to dissolve so rinse well to get any detergents off them (don't use the caffeine impregnated spanks) and they should be good if fiddly to use.

Because of the stretchy nature they will hold the media quite tight so might not let it move around enough. And the fine holes will clog so as above says they might not be the best choice for media bags but I commend your attitude to reusing stuff

• Like 1

Thinking about it they might make a really good alternative to fine filter floss either layered or just stuffed in and they would have the potential to be reusable ( unlike floss some flosses) or if you don't want to reuse them at least they got one extra use before being binned. 

• Like 1