Dither/Target Fish for Pair of Cons

Hey guys, 

So I’m looking for some opinions on what if anything I could try to keep with my pair of convicts. Tank is 30 gallons and has lots of driftwood and spider wood and cover but I’m well aware that 30 is pretty tight when it comes to how insane a breeding pair of cons are. I’ve left them by themselves so far but I’m curious if there is anything that could potentially stand a chance of being okay and possible control fry population a bit (I feel like I’m always removing babies lol). Thinking something that’s very quick and hangs out in the top portion of that tank? If it’s not worth it then it’s not worth it, as I don’t want to just add fish that would be killed, but I figured I’d see if anyone had any ideas or experience trying something like this! I thought of giant danios but I’m not sure I like the idea of putting such an active swimmer in anything less than a 48” tank. Let me know what you guys think. 

• Administrators

As you said, 30 gallons may be a bit tight, but you could consider tiger barbs or larger danios as potential dither fish that are fast enough and large enough to hold their own agains the convicts. Another option would be to go with a catfish that would help curb the population by hunting at night. 

On 7/11/2022 at 1:50 PM, Zenzo said:

As you said, 30 gallons may be a bit tight, but you could consider tiger barbs or larger danios as potential dither fish that are fast enough and large enough to hold their own agains the convicts. Another option would be to go with a catfish that would help curb the population by hunting at night. 

Right, the tank size is restricting I have no delusions about that unfortunetly that’s as big as I can go in my current apartment 😪. I was toying with the idea of some kind of catfish but I wasn’t sure if the cons would just seek it out and peck at it all day since they pretty much rule the whole bottom of the tank. There are plenty of hides though so maybe it could work out. I thought of giant danios or Buenos Aires tetras but I figure they would be happier with at least 48” tank for active swimming space but I could be wrong🤷‍♂️ Any thoughts on a potential Catfish species? Something that doesn’t get too big or would have a huge bio load but although enough size to take care of itself with the cons. I know that no matter what I try at the end of the day it may not work out but I’m willing to give it a couple shots!