Apistogramma Cacatuoides Tank Mates?

Jen Abe

Hello all,

I have a really nice pair of Apisto in a 20 gallon long living with 8 zebra danio, some carbon rilli shrimp and a dwarf snowball pleco named Frank. I would like to add a few more schooling fish and don't want to disturb the peace. Was thinking of either Serpae (or was it red phantom?), Lemon or Emperor tetra. I also thought about rummy nose. I believe this planted tank can handle 10 small schooling fish without issue.

edited: Also thinking about cherry barbs...

Any thoughts from those familiar with Apisto? 

I have attached photos of Eros and Psyche. They have been a joy so far...hoping for fry at some point though I think I might have neighborhood population control with the danio 🙂

Thanks for any help!

IMG_1565.jpg

IMG_1558.jpg

Edited by Jen Abe
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 9:33 PM, Patrick_G said:

Are you thinking of adding 10 more schooling fish or just an extra two to make a total of 10 including the Danios? 

10 more schooling fish in addition to the Danios. I was going to get more danio but this is a good opportunity to add something new to the mix.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 7:30 PM, Jen Abe said:

10 more schooling fish in addition to the Danios. I was going to get more danio but this is a good opportunity to add something new to the mix.

Gotcha. I’m going to let someone more familiar with Apistogramma cacatuoides answer. My gut says it won’t be good, but I don’t keep Apistogramma so I’m not sure.