Girardinus Metallicus

BradfordAquatics

I have been wanting to keep these awesome little livebearers for years now, but I never could find any. Of course, as soon as soon as I got other fish and I filled up my tanks, then they’d appear lol

Anyways, I finally had an open tank and found some of these guys so I’m excited to start a breeding colony! I’ve got two males and three females, and I’ve really been enjoying them. They’ve been here for a week now and they look great!

Now I wait for fry…

2BB0655E-D756-4A04-A1E5-F1DD29C08286.jpeg.1624ec58387d5d2c9adc4e9e9fdc3079.jpeg
This male has beautiful coloration!1A040883-E673-4663-BDA9-17B4E1B8BAE4.jpeg.9cf0002d61deba671c8b566baf0115be.jpeg

The females are more drab, but still such awesome fish in my opinion!

Side note: you don’t realize how baldly you need to clean your glass until it’s time to take pics lol!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

G. metallicus is such a cool fish,  I'm currently keeping both strains. They really like algae in their diet. If you find yourself overrun with fry, dropping the the temperature to around 70°F won't hurt the fish, but pretty much brings drops to a halt until the temperature rises again (at least with mine). 

Edited by L_goodei200
  • Like 1

On 7/7/2022 at 12:13 PM, L_goodei200 said:

G. metallicus is such a cool fish,  I'm currently keeping both strains. They really like algae in their diet. If you find yourself overrun with fry, dropping the the temperature to around 70°F won't hurt the fish, but pretty much brings drops to a halt until the temperature rises again (at least with mine). 

Thanks, I’m sure that info will come in handy!

This tank is right by a window so it’s gets some natural light which is great for those algae nibbling fish like these

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What size aquarium do you recommend? I gave an empty 14 gallon and someone near me has some available.  I'm looking for pets not a breeding colony (though babies are always nice) would a pair be a good start or? I appreciate any info you can share. They are such beautiful fish I would love to keep.

On 8/4/2022 at 9:46 AM, Swred5 said:

What size aquarium do you recommend? I gave an empty 14 gallon and someone near me has some available.  I'm looking for pets not a breeding colony (though babies are always nice) would a pair be a good start or? I appreciate any info you can share. They are such beautiful fish I would love to keep.

Yeah, I think they'd do great in that tank. I'd probably go with a trio because the males are really relentless, even more so than the more common livebearers. You'll definitely end up with some fry at one point too. They are really interesting fish to watch so I think you'll love them!

• 2 weeks later...