Low ph and beneficial bacteria

Suzanne B

Greetings. Can low ph levels harm the beneficial bacteria? I have ammonia readings of .25ppm two days after 50% water change. This has been going on for 2 weeks. Here's what is in my tank:

20 gal long

Aquaclear 50

Temp 78 degrees

O nitrites, 0 nitrates

4 pygmy cories, 7 ember tetras, 3 green neons

2giant java ferns, 1 large amazon sword, 7 anacharis stalks, 2 wendtii, some moss

Gravel substrate

Any suggestions?

I’ve heard that low PH can slow down the growth of BB. However it also greatly reduces the toxicity of ammonia so your fish should be safe.

Are you using the Co-op test strips? I’ve found them to be very sensitive to ammonia to the point where I might get a .25ppm reading on the strips but show no measurable ammonia with the API kit. 

The bacteria slows way down below pH 6.7. They can adapt to a degree but that takes a lot of time. I wouldn't worry much about a 0.25ppm ammonia reading though. Ammonia tests are very inaccurate below that level. You could have 0.05 or 0.25 and it would look basically the same color on the chart.

On 7/3/2022 at 3:17 PM, Gwallace said:

That is low but not low enough to crash your system or affect your cycle.  Is the purified water remineralized?  All life needs minerals.  That could be your issue.

I forgot to mention I do add Seachem Equilibrium to remineralize.

On 7/3/2022 at 2:55 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’ve heard that low PH can slow down the growth of BB. However it also greatly reduces the toxicity of ammonia so your fish should be safe.

Are you using the Co-op test strips? I’ve found them to be very sensitive to ammonia to the point where I might get a .25ppm reading on the strips but show no measurable ammonia with the API kit. 

No, don't have the coop ammonia strips. Maybe I'll give them a try. Thanks.