Shrimp reproduction

Hi all,

i just had a quick question about the Neocaradina life cycle. Do the females drop their shrimp when they are ready to hatch or is there a period of time between being berried and the shrimp hatching where the eggs are on the ground. I noticed my berried red rilli dropped all her eggs in my Java moss and am curious if there are a bunch of shrimplets running around or if they arnt quite here yet.

Shrimp come out free swimming from mamma. Mamma hold them till free swimming. Sometimes shrimp molt and drop eggs, or they scrap them on something and drop eggs. Dropped eggs arent likely to yield shrimp unless they have appropriate water flow to keep them from molding, hence mama fanning the eggs herself.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:47 PM, pcb09 said:

Shrimp come out free swimming from mamma. Mamma hold them till free swimming. Sometimes shrimp molt and drop eggs, or they scrap them on something and drop eggs. Dropped eggs arent likely to yield shrimp unless they have appropriate water flow to keep them from molding, hence mama fanning the eggs herself.

I did notice a new moly maybe it was hers this is great to know thank you so much!!!

happy to help. 

If the shrimp were new to the tank it is super common for a water parameter change to cause a shrimp to molt early even if pregnant. luckily a female can get pregnant almost immediately after the babies are let loose. so you are sub 30 days from babies with the same lady (assuming you have male and female)

• Like 1